Abt DXOMark rating on Hasselblads vs other cameras

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacephoto

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is acquainted with http://www.dxomark.com?

I just discovered it and found that it rates cameras based on their raw files. Surprising, the Nikon D3X seems to out do the H3DII-50.

Alex Maxim

I believe those who use Hasselblad know why they spent money on it regardless of DXO and other rates. Do we really need this thread here?

Eivind Røhne

Quote from: Oleksiy on July 02, 2009, 05:56:46 AM
Do we really need this thread here?

I've always found this forum to be free speaking (and thank God for that), with good ceiling height (as we say here up north...) for discussions regarding our working tools. So I can't see no reason whatsoever Jacephoto can't post this thread.

And by the way, I borrowed a complete D3x kit from Nikon here in Norway for three weeks to do some serious testing. used it on several assignements parallell with the Hasselblad kit, and also on some perosnal work. From what I can see, the results from the D3x is very good when it comes to a lot of stuff. Like for instance dynamic range, which is extremely good I'm a bit sad to admit... When it comes to sharpness, a 22MP Blad actually has a very slight edge over it. The one BIG thing that let me down was the lack of sensor dust removal. I would have bought the kit if it hadn't been for the lack of sensor cleaning. On the Blad you just remove the back and you're set to go a few seconds later with a clean sensor. Fiddling behind the mirror of a $10.000 D3x doesn't make you feel good. And I couldn't get it clean either. But it actually brought me back to the "good old" days when I spent 10-15 minutes cleaning dust spots off my Hasselblad scans... Aaaahhh... Those where the times! Thank God they're gone......
Cheers,
Eivind Rohne

Web: www.beyondtheice.no

David Grover

The way DXO perform their tests are a bit wooly.

They don't use Phocus, I *think* they convert everything to DNG and I think they so a few other odd things as well.

You can argue if this is the best way to compare or not (as everything gets the same treatment), but ultimately they are not squeezing the best out of the respective cameras.  What it could determine though is which system gets the best result through a slighty iffy DNG workflow!

But not to knock the D3 - it is an excellent camera.

David

s.agar

DXO points are based on a few aspects. One is the ISO, or how close it is to the selected ISO.
There for some reason Hasselblad's deviate (staying as a straight line), that is staying at base ISO for all vales chosen.
This affects the overall score.

BTW, is that important?

Some information may be beneficial for most makes, to some users or potential buyers.
But if you are into MFDB, ones own needs are the important thing. It's a completely differect world.
Otherwise my 5DII would suffice for everything. And it2s much lighter to carry around.
H3DII, M8, Canon 5DII, NEX-3 
Camera collector, over 500 items.
http://seyhun.com/

jimgolden

who care - you own H now, so you're sunk according to DXO!!  ;D