21 now in stock at B&H 8/22/18

Previous topic - Next topic

sepiareverb

braver

Thanks — cancelled the Hassy's online store order (8/12, still at least a week away from shipping per their response) and orderered from my favorite store by Friday!  Yay!  After winning the 30mm on eBay by $22 and getting the 90mm it will be from zero to hero, or rather four.

Update 1: the 21mm went out of stock overnight, keeping fingers crossed that mine has made the cut!

Update 2: yes it did.  Whew!  Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

sepiareverb

Wow that was quick. So you're the one who outbid me on the 30. Shoot well!

JoeC

Roberts Camera in Indianapolis got a shipment of the 21mm lenses last Friday and I got mine on Tuesday. Kudos to Carl Cote and Jody Grobner.

Joe

braver

Quote from: sepiareverb on August 24, 2018, 10:54:24 PM
Wow that was quick. So you're the one who outbid me on the 30. Shoot well!

Well, it did get quite high in price!  I was thinking of ending in 11 but then did 33.33 out of sheer symmetry... The seller turned out a photographer local to SF and with clients in tech related to me so it was a serendipity.  I'm sure more will turn up!:)

braver

I'm so glad I did get the 21mm.  A thread from GetDPI sums it up best: if you like your reality surreal, you will enjoy it.   I.e., the question of whether the 30 and the 21 are both needed is answered by how much otherworldly do you like to get, and the 21 delivers in spades.  The 30 is just a great shorter lens, but the 21 is something else.

MGrayson

There is a huge gap between 21 and 30. I very much wish there were a 24. It is very wide, but not quite surreal.

braver

Quote from: MGrayson on August 26, 2018, 05:54:17 AM
There is a huge gap between 21 and 30. I very much wish there were a 24. It is very wide, but not quite surreal.

Really depends on one's preferences -- I found the set of 21, 35, 50, 90 perfect for Leica.  I don't lack width with it.  Was looking at Zeiss Biogon 25mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361542-REG/Zeiss_1365_652_25mm_f_2_8_ZM_Lens.html or 28mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361546-REG/Zeiss_1365_655_28mm_f_2_8_ZM_Lens.html, pondering hard which one fits best between FF 21mm and 35mm, and ended up stalling since there's no tremendous need for my usual angles.  I have the Zeiss Touit 12mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970839-REG/zeiss_2030_527_touit_12mm_f_2_8_lens.html for the Fuji XF and it does the surreal magic.  In fact using the XCD 21mm makes me want to dig out my widest lenses across all systems, including the crazy Pentax zoom, FA 15-30mm/f2.8 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1225871-REG/pentax_21280_hd_pentax_d_fa_15_30mm.html, heavy as it is with the front element so convex you can't protect it with a glass filter but only with the hood.  Here's my thread on one Biogon vs the other at the Leica forum, a lot of insights on the wide angle: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/271354-biogon-25mm-or-28mm/.

MGrayson

The 24 on the X1D would be about a 19 or 20 on the M. That's the FoV I'd like. So yes, it's personal preference. (Everything we say companies "need" to do is personal preference. We just don't like to admit it.  ;) )

braver

This discussion suddenly revived my interest in the Summilux 24mm...:)

vidio

Quote from: MGrayson on August 26, 2018, 06:49:44 AM
The 24 on the X1D would be about a 19 or 20 on the M. That's the FoV I'd like. So yes, it's personal preference. (Everything we say companies "need" to do is personal preference. We just don't like to admit it.  ;) )

I think its the other way around right? A 24 on the Leica could be about 19 on the X1D. However the wides (other than the WATE) all seem to need cropping on the X1D. I tried the 28 SUM and it would have been about a 23 on the X1D but there was a little vignetting that could not be corrected in the corners so I had to crop it. Then it ended up being about a 26 but it looked good.

MGrayson

Quote from: vidio on August 26, 2018, 11:12:34 AM
Quote from: MGrayson on August 26, 2018, 06:49:44 AM

I think its the other way around right? A 24 on the Leica could be about 19 on the X1D. However the wides (other than the WATE) all seem to need cropping on the X1D. I tried the 28 SUM and it would have been about a 23 on the X1D but there was a little vignetting that could not be corrected in the corners so I had to crop it. Then it ended up being about a 26 but it looked good.
Sorry, I meant the Leica S. The S+24 is still my favorite combo, but it weighs as much as the X1D+21, 30, and 45. A 24 on the S (or X1D) is like a 19 on the M or other FF.

braver

Quote from: MGrayson on August 26, 2018, 11:42:48 PM
... I meant the Leica S. The S+24 is still my favorite combo, but it weighs as much as the X1D+21, 30, and 45. A 24 on the S (or X1D) is like a 19 on the M or other FF.

Hmm up until now I've not considered Leica S.  Now I see it has an OVF.  Yum!  If only it were not so heavy...

kuau

I just picked one up from Samy's camera, unfortunately now they show on back order. Mine shipped today

JimBrennan

Got mine today from Samy's!