New battery for X1D - better and cheaper :)

Previous topic - Next topic

sepiareverb

I'm having the same issue. Battery gets charged, is put in camera and the camera can't start. Plug in the battery and it reads charged. Wade from Hasselblad said "Actually, this is not a quality issue, it is a new way we used to preserve the battery from over discharging. But we understand the inconvenience that this brought to you all. We will keep investigating the issue." It certainly can't over discharge if it won't go on!

I have to call back someone from Samy's where I got the battery, hoping they will just replace it with a red ring for me...

sepiareverb

So I used the new (grey ring) battery yesterday for a good bit of the morning, after having "recharged" it overnight and putting it right into the camera. The camera was powered off and went back in the bag yesterday at about 11:30, I just now took it out and it powers up fine. Shut down and removed the battery. Reinserted it and it powers up fine.

Just got off the phone with Samy's, they're sending me a return label and I will just pay the difference and get the old battery.

michael123

I don't understand - so the new 3400mAh worked in the end for you after second charge cycle?

sepiareverb

Apparently the battery will work if it is fresh from the charger, this according to Hasselblad NJ. I never shoot in the studio, so having a battery that needs to be "freshened" via the charger before use isn't going to work for me.

sog1927

Yeah, this looks like one of those "features" which seems like a really good idea when you see it on the spec sheet, but turns out to be an absolute pain in real life. "The battery turns itself off to prevent discharge" sounds terrific  until you realize you have to plug all your batteries into the charger to reset them before you go out and shoot.

michael123

Actually, I re-charged this new black battery two days ago for the full night, and today tried to put it into X1D - and success! It started up!!

Hard to understand the logic

sog1927

There is apparently a timeout period of several days before the battery turns itself off. I'm not sure where I read that, or I'd link to it. It is probably just a figment of my senescent imagination.

michael123

The new battery worked yesterday OK after being (re-) charged for second time a week ago.

Indeed might be some (activation/de-activation) (anti-) feature