Does Anyone Know Who This Reviewer Is?

Previous topic - Next topic

BillW

I ran across this on You Tube. Obviously he does not like the X1D. I had never heard of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn75zcGODZ4&t=295s
Thanks
Bill

sog1927

Well, you should see the videos where he "debunks" relativity and quantum mechanics on the basis of his experience as a ham radio operator (I am not making this up). His opinions of Albert Einstein and Hasselblad are quite similar, actually.

Michael H. Cothran

His name is Theoria Apophasis. And you're right - he does not like Hasselblad.

sog1927

Is this his original review (where he "reviewed" the camera from the comfort of his home without ever having actually touched or even seen one), or is it new? I can't bear to watch him again to find out.

BillW

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on June 10, 2018, 06:52:19 AM
His name is Theoria Apophysis. And you're right - he does not like Hasselblad.

Whew, I was worried I had made a BIG mistake investing in my X1D and many lenses......!!!! :-\

I figured he was a total nut case....!
Thanks
Bill

Michael H. Cothran

I don't care for, nor respect the man at all, and would never buy or "not" buy based on his opinions. However, he is entitled to his opinion. But, in the case of the Hasselblad, it sounds more like a personal grudge to me, for whatever reason.

tcdeveau

Why on earth anyone would take that guy seriously or how he passes off as a legit reviewer is beyond me. He's insufferable.

He uses the price drop in Europe - the kamera Express sale (which is only one chain of somtire) - as well as two other reviews as evidence that's its a flop and epic fail? All digital medium format cameras lose signifant value over time. His precious GFX at some point will be half off as well, but that doesn't mean it's a failure. He doesn't even mention the fact that a new model is around the corner.

One of the review sites he mentions - photigy- I do respect. I haven't read their review but Photigy and Alex are studio macro/product photographers, which the X1D isn't a great tool for and which was never marketed as such to my knowledge. 

Several of the things he said are also flat out wrong, such as octagonal bokeh wide open (fixed via firmware already) and lack of bellows support (see cambo actus and e-shutter capability). He also said Hasselblad doesn't exist and exists in name only because of the DJi investment, something I also think is completely wrong. It's clear he doesn't like the X1D, but, honestly who cares about his opinion?

The camera has limitations, yes, but do those limitations make it an epic fail? In my mind absolutely not. Depending on ones needs, there may be better tools for the job (there are things 35mm such as Sony, Canon, nikon, do better than MF as a whole, such as autofocus) but the X1D is a great camera.

I love my "epic fail of a camera" (X1D) and am working on putting together an exhibition comprising images taken with it.  I've been putting the 21mm to use a lot this weekend and am having a lot of fun with it. I've got the X1D and 21, 30, 45, and 90mm lenses. They're great tools for my needs, and I can't wait for the upcoming 35-75mm and X2D.

BradP

I've seen him around YouTube for years.  In my mind, he would be a competitor for the Most Controversial Photography YouTuber, and I imagine he aspires to that niche.  I have found his reviews always opinionated, usually entertaining, occasionally informative, and hit and miss reliability-wise (like here).  His thumbs up and thumbs down stats should say something on that score.  If I were googling something and his name came up, I might click to hear what he has to say thinking it's more likely I'll be entertained than informed.  Here he admitted to only 1/2 hour with the camera, and his first review of similar vein he admitted to never having demoed it at all.  Knowing the camera far better than he does, I think I'd be in the thumbs down camp on this video.

sog1927

Quote from: tcdeveau on June 10, 2018, 02:28:40 PM

lack of bellows support (see cambo actus and e-shutter capability).

Or for that matter, any of several V-series adapters and a V-series bellows (what I'm currently using).

jerome_m

I don't know who this reviewer is because I don't watch reviews on youtube.

alkaabi

jerome_m

Quote from: pollensteyn on June 11, 2018, 12:31:12 AM
Hasselblad cuts price of the X1D in half in Europe? I don't think so.

I don't watch reviews on youtube, but I did read the announcement of new sensors by Sony. I have also a pretty good memory of Hasselblad lowering the prices of the H4D-31, H4D-40, etc... at the end of their life. I can follow the price of the X1D and I can follow the price of the competition (Fuji, Pentax). The price of that particular shop in the NL is very low, but not absolutely insane.

Meanwhile, anybody who sees this advertisement, or worse, the Ken Wheeler nonsense, believes either that:
-the X1D is a flop, or
-Hasselblad is ready to announce a successor to the X1D

People with an ounce of common sense know that the X1D is a success and that Hasselblad is ready to announce a successor.

Anyone who might think of buying an X1D (I am) keeps his/her purse closed and waits for things to come. It's bad for the brand and for the XCD-system in particular. You might guess that Hasselblad may have an opinion on that.

With all due respect, somebody with an hidden agenda of defending the brand would not have posted anything different. I you live in NL and think about buying an X1D, the present offer in NL is likely to be the best price you can get for a new camera, so you should not wait.

satijntje

Quote from: pollensteyn on June 11, 2018, 05:18:04 AM
Quote from: jerome_m on June 11, 2018, 04:52:47 AM
With all due respect, somebody with an hidden agenda of defending the brand would not have posted anything different. I you live in NL and think about buying an X1D, the present offer in NL is likely to be the best price you can get for a new camera, so you should not wait.

I have a 'hidden agenda of defending the brand'? Wow. I'm just some photographer waiting for her local retailer to deliver a demo copy so she can decide if this the right camera or not. I'm not into buying stuff I never laid my hands on before, and I'm not in a hurry.

Pollensteyn, you have a pm

michael123

There is no reason for Hasselblad to announce a new model. X1D is a king on every medium, on every chart.

They need to speed up a bit development of their lens and other accessories though

Even Canon 5D has 4 (?) years span between the models, and X1D is the high-end. Travel, portable high-end camera.

jerome_m

Quote from: michael123 on June 11, 2018, 05:57:44 AM
There is no reason for Hasselblad to announce a new model. X1D is a king on every medium, on every chart.

Sony has a new MF sensor with twice the number of pixels. Surely Sony expects to sell the new sensor to some manufacturers.