How do you keep your Blad cool enough in extreme heat?

Previous topic - Next topic

goldie

I just wondered whether any one had any tricks for keeping a H3D39 or similar cool enough when outside in very high temperatures encounted in desert conditions?
I'm a bit worried about the increase in noise, not to mention the camera possibly overheating or being damaged.
I would obviously keep it shaded, turn it off when not in use and avoid the worst of the heat in the middle part of the day.
I'm having crazy thoughts of leaving it in a chilli bin or air conditioned car to regulate its temperature between shooting. Maybe there is something that could be wrapped over the body that will help it stay cool but not produce moisture or cover the fan. A generator and a small airconditioner pointed at it? Sure would look silly in the middle of nowhere.

All thoughts greatfully accepted.

G.

gfkreplin

I have the same concern as I am doing family portraits on the beach in the hot summer.
Dr. Camera

David Grover

HI Goldie,

I actually don't think you need to worry so much.  We test the cameras in climate boxes at more than 40°C.  If the camera does need to shut down and cool off - it will tell you.

Placing it in an air conditioned car would create an issue of condensation.  If you want to go this route then you must place the camera in a plastic bag and let it climatise to the difference in temperature as you go from cold->hot etc etc.

David

goldie

Thanks David,

Thankfully the job I was going on has been delayed because daytime temperatures reach 45.C.
Anyone know if the H2/H3 camera has a higher operating temp than the digital back?
I see the people at Phase (are we allowed to mention them in the forum?) like to stick there backs in microwave ovens and crank the heat to 175.C. Hmmm... I wonder how easy it is to shoot with oven mitts on?

G.

rsmphoto

Here's my solution... ;)

But on a more serious note, I would be equally concerned about dust. In the Middle East (esp. the Gulf area) where the dust can be as fine as talc, and it gets into everything, it has been a significant concern for me - so much so that I opt for the O-ring protected 1DsmkIII instead.

Andy Johnson-Laird

I've also shot in some pretty hot places in direct sun. I just fashioned a "cap" of aluminum (aka "aluminium") foil and formed it around the camera.(And, no, Derek, I was not wearing a tin foil hat myself!  :) )

The aluminum reflects a large amount of the insolation and keeps the camera at ambient air temperature....and so no "lens burn."

Regards
Andy
Forensic Software Analyst : H4D-50, HTS and beaucoup HC lenses
Portland, Oregon, USA