FireWire Cables issues with...

Previous topic - Next topic

HughGilbert

Afternoon all!

Has anyone got a supplier of firewire cables that aren't built as if they are meant to tie ships up at habour?

I've been using a new Mac Book Pro and it only has FW800.  Trouble is that the lead to the camera, 4.5 metres is just too heavy for the socket on the laptop.... mis fires and all sorts.

At least the FW 400 seemed a bit stronger....  So does anyone know where I can get a three to four metre length of 800 800 Fire Wire that is lightweight?

All answers gratefully received....

Hot and overcast here in London

Whippet is sulking under my desk and refusing treats!

Hugh

Dustbak

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Computer-Products-Online-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1

That is where I got them from last week. Lightweight, exactly the type of cable that will go bust instead of your port chassis parts. Sofar I have spent 2 in about 2 years, heavy usage. Expect them to last anywhere in between 6 months and a year. I advice you to get 2 for obvious reasons :)

I see they now have them for 17 pounds, I got mine for 10 each. I see they also have them for 12GBP. Look through their store to find the cheapest (they are all the same 5m cables)

robertpoll

robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

HughGilbert

Thank you Fellows....

Just the thing, this forum.... ask a question and get some help..

stay well

Hugh

robertpoll

argh! Disaster.

Lindy have just redesigned the connector and the new cables won't fit. Hopefully no-one's ordered one yet. If you have there's a returns for on their webpage!

...rob

NickT

FYI
I use the Granite 10 metre (32ft) cable from the mac to a repeater like this one (although mine is non-powered not sure if the one linked needs a power supply or if it's optional). From the repeater I use a lightweight 1 metre cable to the back. I've been very happy with this set up as it puts no strain on the back FW port.
Nick-T

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

robertpoll

I've just ordered one of the ones dustbak recommended and that doesn't fit either (I guess they have more than one supplier). It's also quite thick - you could tie up a small boat, maybe a dinghy with it I guess.

Anyway, I now have quite a large selection of cables that don't fit!

I guess the pro-centre might be the best option...

...rob

Dustbak

That is odd. I just got mine and they fit perfectly  ??? Maybe it is because I got the ultra el cheapo versions? Or is the firewire port of the CF slightly different than the H3?

robertpoll

..maybe all the cable manufacturers are conspiring to torment me!

the plug on mine measures 14.5x12mm - there only seems to be one choice on the webpage, but I assume they must get them from various sources, unless as you say the CF is different..?