Zeiss 135 Makro + X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Finally received my recently purchased Zeiss 135/5.6 Makro Planar lens back from the repair shop, where I had it fully serviced (was in the shop over two months!). Took it out yesterday to have a go with it. Couldn't find much in bloom, but I did find this dogwood tree at a local park. I have no complaints with the IQ, but I'm finding some limitations, both with the bellows/lens, and with using a lens adapter.

1. For instance, using the bellows unit on the 135 lens, I can only shoot horizontal. And yes, I'm aware that there is a 64-85mm extension tube available, but they're awfully expensive, even on Ebay. And, extending only to 85mm, it doesn't really offer me that much in close-up capability. In hind sight, I might have been better off buying the Zeiss 120 Makro Planar or the S Planar version, instead. Still might do that at some time in the future, since they're not too expensive on Ebay. With the Zeiss 120, I can shoot vertical also, although I can only go to 1:4, or 1:2, depending on the version.

2. The fact that I cannot use a strobe with the Kipon adapter, or more to the point, with the electronic shutter, is an important issue to me, as I would like to utilize the macro lens in my home studio, using strobes. However, I do believe I can set the camera to B or T in a darkened studio, and then fire the strobe without using the electronic shutter. Otherwise, that would lessen my choices back to the XCD 120 or the HC 120. I recently mounted an HC 120+XH adapter on my X1D (courtesy of Eric Peterson), but found it to be quite a long & strenuous load.

So, as such, I'm still considering buying the XCD 120 at some point, but still hesitant due to all the negative reviews I've read about AF.

Anyway, here's an image I shot yesterday -
X1D-50c
Zeiss CF 135/5.6 Makro Planar
Hasselblad Auto Bellows
Kipon lens adapter
Aperture priority, Center spot metering with +1 exposure compensation
1/90 sec @ f11, ISO 100
Magnification @ 1:5