GodoxTriggers and the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

OleBe

Quote from: rweissman on December 06, 2020, 07:11:25 PM
I just tried the newer X2(N) trigger on an X1Dii firing a Flashpoint equivalent of the Godox V1. Like others reported two years ago, it fires in manual mode and one can change the flash settings from the remote, but does not fire in TTL mode.  The Profoto Connect (Nikon version) works without incident on the A1 family of flashes in TTL, so that is one remote solution that works.  The new Westcott J1 strobe and multi-vendor trigger also works in TTL mode.  Does anyone know if Godox has plans to fix their firmware so that it is fully Hasselblad compatible?

Actually I wrote Godox about one year ago. Never received a reply. Have heard from multiple Godox YouTubers that they are never replying to the end user. Only if a big distributor would bring this forward there would be a slight chance.

From what I understood they would need to upgrade their Nikon version for TTL. However, since all that time I am using the flashes in manual and they work perfectly as long as you keep in mind the flash duration vs. Shutter speed. I.E. the AD600 Pro has 1/220 sec of flash duration on full power, meaning with that power setting your shutter should be at maximum 1/200 to get the flash squeezed into the exposure time. Fortunately the flashes show their duration on every power setting, that helps a lot. :)

disposable@tx.rr.com

Quote from: OleBe on December 06, 2020, 11:25:53 PM
Quote from: rweissman on December 06, 2020, 07:11:25 PM

..................the AD600 Pro has 1/220 sec of flash duration...................... Fortunately the flashes show their duration on every power setting, that helps a lot. :)
I also have the AD600 Pro and, my frequent admonishment to RTFM notwithstanding, I obviously missed that bit :)  I had never noticed the little flash duration notification in the lower left corner of the display. 

Thanks for mentioning this, it is useful information.

pss

I have several 600 pros and a few 1200 pro packs, I don't use TTL, everything works fine and as expected, I have both the XN triggers and they both work great, I prefer the newest one because each group has a dedicated button, helps with quick adjustments in bigger set ups....
Max flash duration is a key thing when working with Hasselblad since the lenses sync at all speeds....but (as with every manufacturer) at max output, the flash duration gets longer and longer....a 1/200 sec flash won't cover 1/2000 exposure.....I usually find that 1/1000 sync speed is enough to freeze most action and the 600 and 1200 are usually safe at 1/8 power setting...obviously the 1200 packs have one extra stop output at that level....
I still prefer it to having to use HSS......
does anyone know if the triggers allow adjustment of the actual sync timing? since the flash output is on a curve I was wondering if the timing could be adjusted to fit a slightly longer flash duration (for example 1/800) into a 1/1250 exposure.....some triggers have the option to adjust the timing, I have not found it on the godox/flashpoint triggers

OleBe

Quote from: pss on December 08, 2020, 06:05:09 AM
I have several 600 pros and a few 1200 pro packs, I don't use TTL, everything works fine and as expected, I have both the XN triggers and they both work great, I prefer the newest one because each group has a dedicated button, helps with quick adjustments in bigger set ups....
Max flash duration is a key thing when working with Hasselblad since the lenses sync at all speeds....but (as with every manufacturer) at max output, the flash duration gets longer and longer....a 1/200 sec flash won't cover 1/2000 exposure.....I usually find that 1/1000 sync speed is enough to freeze most action and the 600 and 1200 are usually safe at 1/8 power setting...obviously the 1200 packs have one extra stop output at that level....
I still prefer it to having to use HSS......
does anyone know if the triggers allow adjustment of the actual sync timing? since the flash output is on a curve I was wondering if the timing could be adjusted to fit a slightly longer flash duration (for example 1/800) into a 1/1250 exposure.....some triggers have the option to adjust the timing, I have not found it on the godox/flashpoint triggers

I am not aware that there is such an option. What comes to my mind however is a test I have done in the past to figure out the best ratio of flash power and sync time.

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5665.0

Maybe that could be helpful as well. :)

MaggieUmich

Hello Pflower,

I know this was years ago, but I just want to confirm if you used your Yongnuo speedlite for the Hasselblad X1D. If so, what is the trigger model? I have a Yongnuo trigger and speedlites that work well with Canon, but I have never tried them with the X1D out of fear of damaging the camera. Any low-budget solutions for a multi-light studio setting with the X1D would be extremely welcome. Thank you all for reading.

Maggie

Conner999

This is a reply to an OLD post, but as an FYI, the Godox X2T transmitters do allow you to set a delay for flash under the , oddly enough, 'Delay" menu function.

Conner999

Maggie,

Any flash/trigger made for Nikon (e.g with the Nikon pin configuration) would be fine - as would any flash with the small pins taped over or used with a 'dumb' adapter.

Non-Nikon-friendly units will not damage the camera per se (I've tried Fuji ones on our X1D2), but it COULD lock the camera up, as was the case with the H series, if you try and use it in TTL mode. The camera tries to communicate with the flash/radio, get jibberish or nothing, lockups and needs a battery removal and restart.

Given Hassy's implementation of Nikon TTL only seems to work with VERY few & specific products, any simple trigger/strobe scenario would work fine. Just ensure the trigger has a fast enough sync ability and the lights of fast enough flash duration to enable the fast flash sync of the X.

Oh, it may be a good idea to use triggers/strobes that would allow you to use Nikon TTL IF Hassy ever comes out with firmware that expands their Nikon TTL capability beyond a handful of Nikon speedlights and (reputedly) Profoto AiR for Nikon.

We moved from Profoto to Godox about 2 yrs ago and have no regrets.

Quote from: MaggieUmich on March 30, 2023, 02:13:13 PM
Hello Pflower,

I know this was years ago, but I just want to confirm if you used your Yongnuo speedlite for the Hasselblad X1D. If so, what is the trigger model? I have a Yongnuo trigger and speedlites that work well with Canon, but I have never tried them with the X1D out of fear of damaging the camera. Any low-budget solutions for a multi-light studio setting with the X1D would be extremely welcome. Thank you all for reading.

Maggie

Ralf

I have used the Godox flashes with the X-Pro N with my Nikons so far.  Now I want to do the same with the X2D.  Wireless flashing works perfectly with the Hasselblad in manual mode.  Sometimes, however, wireless TTL flashing is quite practical.  Unfortunately, this does not work in the connection of X2D with the X-Pro N.  Does anyone have experience as to whether the Godox X-Pro ii N can flash wirelessly with the X2D TTL?

Conner999

I've yet to get TTL to work with Godox N units using the X1D2, and from what I've seen in various forums, the same is the issue with the X2D. I agree it is very handy often to be able to get a TTL first shot 'best guess' with some EV +/- when working from a distance, then lock it into manual and tweak.

Hassy appears to have baked their adoption of N TTL such that it only works with specific Nikon speedlights and, from what I've heard, Profoto AiR N triggers.

I've also read that some Godox speed lights like the VING 860IIN will work in TTL, but I've yet been able to get that verified and if true on-camera, will it also work when used solely as a remote controller (given the radio guts between the 860 and the naked triggers should be very similar).

Having moved from Profoto to Godox  2 years ago, I've no intention of going back, so I'm hoping Hassy updates the firmware at some point, but I'm not optimistic.

Ralf

The Godox V1n also works in TTL mode on the X2D hot shoe.  (AD200 and AD600 just don't have a flash shoe.)

I'm assuming this is a trigger issue.  Because the Profoto is supposed to work.  I also don't want to switch to Profoto, because I like the handling of Godox and it's also cheaper.  I asked Godox if the second version of the xpro n could flash with Hasselblad x TTL.  Let's see what they answer...

freusch

unfortunately not, I have xpro n II.
no ttl,

Ralf

Conner999

Ok, that's good to know.

So, will the V1N pass TTL instructions to other Godox flashes. In other words, will it also act as a radio-trigger only in TTL? It would be a clumsy way to do it, but better than nothing.

Quote from: Ralf on April 04, 2023, 01:17:46 AM
The Godox V1n also works in TTL mode on the X2D hot shoe.  (AD200 and AD600 just don't have a flash shoe.)

I'm assuming this is a trigger issue.  Because the Profoto is supposed to work.  I also don't want to switch to Profoto, because I like the handling of Godox and it's also cheaper.  I asked Godox if the second version of the xpro n could flash with Hasselblad x TTL.  Let's see what they answer...

Ralf

...The idea is not bad.  In fact, in Master TTL mode, the V1 triggers the other Godox flashes.  However, the TTL control does not seem to work.  When I stop down, the AD600 doesn't adjust and the picture gets darker, even though it says TTL on its display.  Unusual.

In addition, the V1 also flashes, although the master is set to "- -".  hmmm.... ???

Conner999

Damn. That's what I was afraid of. Same happens when using X___ trigger. Everything says TTL, including the receiving strobe(s) and everything fires, but it's in dumb mode only.

Makes no bloody sense that the settings that trigger the strobe in TTL while on hotshoe can't be transmitted via that unit's onboard radio to other strobes, but..

Thanks for trying.