H Series DC Power Grip Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Conner999

In prep mode to add an H4D or H5D 40-50MP CCD kit to our stable and I have question re: the Hassy DC Power Grip.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649023-REG/Hasselblad_3043350_DC_Power_Grip_For.html

Does the grip-side of that kit contain any electronics (e.g. voltage regulation, etc.) or is it just an empty dummy grip with leads from the AC-DC brick to contacts to feed the camera?

The price new of the kit is mind-numbing (and I'm a big Profoto user ;> ), so I'm wondering if someone could just simply hook up an old CR123A battery grip to an appropriate 7.4V 6A NP-F battery equivalent and sled.

BTW - have found this forum a great resource as a pending Hassy buyer. Nicely done and very civil ;>

Thanks

Rob

bdp

Hi Rob,

Yes, it contains a circuit board inside the grip - I know, because I had mine repaired several times due to a poor connection of the cable to the grip. Repeated camera movement can work the socket loose over time and the grip will lose power suddenly. I eventually had the cable soldered directly to the circuit board inside, with a big blob of silicone where the socket was to protect the soldered connection from breaking whenever I moved the camera.

You could possibly just attach an external battery to a CR123A grip like you mentioned, as long as you got the voltage and current right. I use one with my H6D to provide additional power over and above the grip battery and USB power because I use live video a lot and it runs batteries down quickly. I've given up on the DC grip because of the cumbersome nature of another cable being dragged around behind the camera stand.

See this thread and scroll down to reply#14 where I show the setup: http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5091.0
Sadly I don't think the H4 or H5 you are planning on getting has an external power socket, but I could be mistaken.

Ben

Conner999

Great info Ben, Thank you.

NB - If you ever want to part with the power grip (not that it's been refurbed ;> ) drop me a line.