New firmware - power over USB at last

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

bdp

Hooray! Let's see if it really works. After I installed 1.17 I left the camera on for 30 mins and tethered to Phocus while I cleaned my studio - came back and the battery was 10% lower.... I would have hoped it was like the firewire cameras, where a battery could last weeks before needing to be changed. We will see.

Ben

bdp

Well as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't work.

I went from a fully charged battery to 'Replace Battery' in about 3 hours today when shooting tethered with this so-called USB power.

This is not what I expected - can the USB port not supply enough power or something?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the firewire cameras don't eat batteries and frequently last weeks without needing to be charged if you always shoot tethered.

Hasselblad, please explain!

Ben

NickT

Well that's disappointing... I think USB power outputs do vary a bit (much like FW) I wonder if it's worth testing a different socket.

Some info here:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/159727-how-to-charge-your-smartphone-and-other-usb-devices-as-quickly-as-possible

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bdp

Hi Nick,

Thanks, very interesting. I might get one of those 'Practical Meters' to test how much power my USB ports can supply.

I also might try getting a wall plug that can plug into my USB extension, and see if that helps.

Ben

bdp

OK so I got a Tetherboost Core controller, which is a short USB extension that plugs into a wall outlet. Then you connect your usual 5m USB extension and Hasselblad USB-C cable to that, and it seems to help the battery last a bit longer. I got about 5 hours out of one battery this time, but using live video will run it down more quickly.

So still not what I expected, but better than before this firmware update. It does get power over USB, just not enough power... You still need at least two batteries for one day's shooting.

Ben

https://www.tethertools.com/product/tetherboost-pro-core-controller/

bgateb

at least it sort of works.

It's correct that most laptop ports will throttle the power/voltage that the USB port provides in order to preserve battery life; that's why things like active USB extensions and tetherboost controllers exist; to provide consistent power, and keep a tethered connection active, as sometimes an idle camera might cause the usb port to dial down the voltage and interrupt the connection.

i would have thought though that USB power meant that the back could be powered via USB (for example, mounted on a technical camera), without the H body present — I guess we're not quite there yet.

bdp

After some research and testing I have learned that USB3 will only supply 5v max, and the camera and back requires much more, possibly double. It's ironic that firewire could supply much more voltage when the CCD backs were around, and as far as I understand were less power-hungry.

So I have tested my USB ports and I am getting a solid 5.13v from them, but only .43amps (=2.2W). This may have been when the camera is idle - I should measure again when live video is being used. This means that the camera battery has to take up the slack which means it runs down in a few hours, especially if live video is used.

Maybe I'm not understanding it all - I think the power requirements of the camera are measured in watts, which is voltage x amps. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) can apparently supply 18v, 0.55amps (=9.9watts).  The DC socket on the side of the camera seems to imply it draws 18watts. On top of that, the max length of USB-C cables is a ridiculous 2m. Some websites suggest that USB3 can supply 15 or 100W of power. Is there ever going to be the possibility for one long cable that will supply the camera with all the power it needs? I'd love a Hasselblad tech to contribute here and explain the whole power requirements/usb/cable thing to me.

I am now interested in the external power solution Hasselblad mentioned in the H6 manual (page attached). I can get one of the recommended power supplies locally, rebranded here as 'Comsol'. My dealer can supply the free cable.

But my question is, will this supply power through the DC socket when the back is connected to the body, or is it for view camera use only? The manual is vague about this, and my dealer so far doesn't have an answer. Has anyone tried it?

Ben

davidthescot

Hi

I am not sure whether that idea will work but there is another option.  Hasselblad supply a mains power unit to replace the battery.  I have one of these and use it when I am in the studio or in a location where power is available.  As it is a two part unit - the battery replacement and a DC power source (7.5V at 5A) and uses a standard connecter it should be possible to replace the mains operated part with a multi-purpose battery backup like the power monkey.

bdp

Hi David,

Thanks for that idea! It's genius.

I actually already own the DC grip but hate it so much due to the power cable dragging around on the floor that I am desperate for a more convenient solution. I never thought of your idea of powering the DC grip with a laptop Power Bank. I'll let you know how I get on if I get it working.

Ben

bdp

Hi David,

After searching the internet for a while it seems that none of these portable battery laptop chargers can supply 5A current. The Power Gorilla is only 3A max, and the power bank that Hasselblad recommends can only supply 4A max current. So not sure if it will be possible to supply power to the DC grip with a portable battery or power bank that is smaller than a car battery jump starter unit.

So it was a nice idea but I might have to go back to square one and find out from someone if the Hasselblad recommended power bank can supply the back with power while it is connected to the camera body.

Ben

Dagmar_L

I tried new firmware and after 4 hours of shooting over USB cable connected to Imac 27" 5K - batterry dropped only 15%. So quite OK.
With older firmware I would drain completely 2 batteries in 4 hours.

Dagmar

davidthescot

Hi

That is interesting.  I have only tethered to a Macbook pro which I think has limited power available via USB.  Looks like I need to buy an iMac for the studio and sell the MB Pro.

bdp

Hi Dagmar,

Thanks, that is encouraging. I bought a little USB device that measures voltage and amperage output from the port and it looks as though my H6D is only drawing about 2 watts (5v x .4a) from my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro. As far as I understand it needs 18W to operate, so the USB power supply is not helping much in my case. I think the USB can supply about 4.5W so not sure why the camera isn't drawing all that. But even if it did, the camera still needs more power, USB will never be enough.

Ben

bdp

Well I'm pleased to report that the Power Bank solution WILL supply the back with power when it is attached to the H6 camera and tethered via USB.

Sorry for the quick and dirty iPhone pics attached, but you can see the Comsol (same at XT Power) power bank clamped onto my camera stand, plugged into the back. It shows about 4-5W being drawn normally, and over 14W when live video is being used. I'll report back at the end of my shoot day to let you know how long this power supply will last, I'm hoping all day at least.

Ben