Major firmware update

Previous topic - Next topic

cerett

Not really sure it is worth screwing around with something like that. I guess things can always be made worse.

cerett

"I called technical support over a year ago and told them that since updating my H6D-100c to the new firmware (1.21), I was no longer able to use bracketing in a continuous mode. In other words, fire off three or more exposures by just keeping the shutter depressed. They verified this glitch, reported it to the home office, and said that it would require a future update. That was well over a year ago and nothing has been done about it. I think they are too heavily invested in the X1D to really care about us. If someone has a simple fix for this problem, I would love to know about it."

I posted this a while back and, to my knowledge, this problem has never been corrected with new firmware. Once again, I am concerned about the future of the H system cameras. I go back and forth about selling my camera (and lenses) and going solely with my Sony alpha system. The monetary loss would be substantial! Is the H system still a viable option? How are the sales going? I wish we could get some answers and support from Hasselblad.

docholliday

Quote from: cerett on March 21, 2021, 05:33:21 AM
"I called technical support over a year ago and told them that since updating my H6D-100c to the new firmware (1.21), I was no longer able to use bracketing in a continuous mode. In other words, fire off three or more exposures by just keeping the shutter depressed. They verified this glitch, reported it to the home office, and said that it would require a future update. That was well over a year ago and nothing has been done about it. I think they are too heavily invested in the X1D to really care about us. If someone has a simple fix for this problem, I would love to know about it."

I posted this a while back and, to my knowledge, this problem has never been corrected with new firmware. Once again, I am concerned about the future of the H system cameras. I go back and forth about selling my camera (and lenses) and going solely with my Sony alpha system. The monetary loss would be substantial! Is the H system still a viable option? How are the sales going? I wish we could get some answers and support from Hasselblad.

It depends on your needs as to what is "viable". For me as a studio photographer, it's H system or Phase One gear. Sony Alpha is a joke, despite the advancements, features, and somewhat ok image quality, it's a non-starter in studio for me - hard to handle, horrible tether ability, no OVF, and less bit depth (it's noticable on smooth tonal transitions). The X system also doesn't work at all for my workflow. I need the OVF and larger camera for better handling. But then again, in studio, we don't use much of the "features" that get presented.

You say it's been a year or so since you'd emailed them. Have you contacted them again about the issue? Without their customers constantly reminding them that we have requirements and needs, they simply won't know that it's important. If they don't hear from customers, they just can assume that there's no users or people who care. I'd be calling/e-mailing/annoying them once a week just to be sure that they're listening!

cerett

I wouldn't call the Sony Alpha a joke. It is far, far more practical camera for landscape/wildlife photography than my H6D-100c. The image quality of my A7r4 is excellent. I can understand your needs as a studio photographer and no one is suggesting you should use a Sony camera for that purpose. However, to refer to the overall use of Sony cameras as a joke is ridiculous.

I've contacted Hasselblad several times about future firmware upgrades and had no response.

docholliday

Quote from: cerett on March 21, 2021, 10:19:40 AM
I wouldn't call the Sony Alpha a joke. It is far, far more practical camera for landscape/wildlife photography than my H6D-100c. The image quality of my A7r4 is excellent. I can understand your needs as a studio photographer and no one is suggesting you should use a Sony camera for that purpose. However, to refer to the overall use of Sony cameras as a joke is ridiculous.

I've contacted Hasselblad several times about future firmware upgrades and had no response.
If you haven't noticed the image quality differences, then you're probably fine switching to Alpha...I can see the differences very clearly when printed (most of my prints are in the 30x40" and up range) and in my case, it's not viable. You've probably also never had to work on an Alpha body or you'd see how much cheaper they're constructed. For your use case, it's understandable. In mine, I use a 1DX3 for non-studio work requiring faster tracking, high frame rates, and "performance". To each their own...

I'd have started calling Hasselblad reps, service, and everyone under the sun to get their attention if I was in your shoes. For the price of an H6, they should be providing much better service than you're experiencing. I've always had quick responses and decent attention to matters from everyone I've had contact with at HB.

Buddy

Surprisingly, the H6D-100c is still the best camera at least for studio works after more than 3 years of all cameras I have ever owned. Using a Nikon D850 for faster actions. Still, a software upgrade would be nice but is not critical IMO.

ashdown

Unless Hasselblad are having some major manufacturing/shipping problems it looks like there may be some new product launches around the corner. The HB online store is out of stock of just about everything in the H range. Perhaps they're getting ready to launch a replacement.

SylvainB

Maybe it is linked to the global electronic component supply shortage.
I do hope, though, that a new H is in the pipeline. That would be a good sign !