DIY Sensorcleaning on the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

satijntje

Hi folks,

due to numerous lens exchanges, the sensor on my X1D has meanwhile collected quite a lot of dirt.
So I was planning to give it to my local shop (not a HB dealer) that offers sensor cleaning up to full format cameras, so I thought that they would easily do MF as well.
Unfortunately, I received a phone call last weekend that they would not want to start cleaning MF format cameras as they are not around in my neighborhood that much.
So I need to do it myself I fear.

Is it ok to use the traditional stuff for full format cameras?
Same liquids?
Same swaps?
I will start a trial on my Leica M8 first, as it will be my first cleaning.
I have seen it done at the Leica Factory a few times, but I have never done it myself.

Recommendations and further help is welcome here

Thanks

John

Domip

A very good Digital Cleaning kit from SINAR: 551.33.090

JoeC

Cleaning the X1D sensor is relatively easy compared to a DSLR. The sensor is large and easy to access.

• First, use a Giotto Rocket-Air or similar blower to remove loose dust; this may be all you need to do
  • Then use a Vswab made by VisibleDust for medium format camera sensors; the swab is 30-33mm wide
  • 2-4 drops of VDust Plus on the leading edge of the swab; wait for even saturation but don't allow the swab to dry out
  • Wipe across the sensor gently in one pass and allow the sensor to dry
I've had good results using this technique and find that it's much easier than cleaning the sensor of a DSLR or smaller mirrorless camera. Since the X1D sensor is so prominent, it gets dirty quickly with frequent lens changes. YMMV.

Joe

pahciao

Agree with Joe. I clean the X1D sensor regularly with Visible Dust Vswabs and VDust Plus.
Just make sure you blow out any hard particles that may be attached to the sensor with the Giottos  before you go at it with the swab to avoid scratching the sensor. Hold the sensor pointing down when you blow with the Giottos so that gravity helps the particles exit the sensor and camera.

Never use one swab more than for one pass at the sensor. For a heavily soiled sensor, you may need quite a few swabs and a rather big bottle of VDust Plus as those medium format sized swabs are cleaning liquid hungry.

hcubell

Quote from: pahciao on December 19, 2017, 04:23:57 AM
Agree with Joe. I clean the X1D sensor regularly with Visible Dust Vswabs and VDust Plus.
Just make sure you blow out any hard particles that may be attached to the sensor with the Giottos  before you go at it with the swab to avoid scratching the sensor. Hold the sensor pointing down when you blow with the Giottos so that gravity helps the particles exit the sensor and camera.

Never use one swab more than for one pass at the sensor. For a heavily soiled sensor, you may need quite a few swabs and a rather big bottle of VDust Plus as those medium format sized swabs are cleaning liquid hungry.

Yes, this has worked well for me as well. I was apprehensive about the process, but it is really quite easy as noted by Joe.

satijntje

Thanks for all the info.
So in principle I can use the same stuff as for a DSLR.
Remember to see a posting in a Facebook group that the traditional stuff should not be used for this sensor.
Hard to believe, so I will give it a try later this weeks with the swaps I already bought some time ago.
John

JoeC

Quote from: satijntje on December 19, 2017, 06:44:40 AM...so I will give it a try later this weeks with the swaps I already bought some time ago.
John

John, the Vswabs that are 30-33mm wide work best for the X1D sensor. Only one pass is required. A smaller swab would require multiple passes. Good luck.

Joe

satijntje

rollsman

Hi Joe, I read the sensor size on their website and they recommend 44mm which is the size of the X1D2   TY
Dennis mansour

JoeC

Quote from: rollsman on September 19, 2023, 01:58:36 PM
Hi Joe, I read the sensor size on their website and they recommend 44mm which is the size of the X1D2   TY

The X1D, X1D II and X2D sensors are ~44x33mm. I prefer to use a swab that is the dimension of the height of the sensor (33mm). YMMV

Joe

Iceman1331

There are lots of discussions before in this forum on the X1D sensor cleaning. I tried cleaning my X1D sensor many years ago using the wet wiping method and found that streaks were left behind. I couldn't get rid of the streaks and finally I paid my local camera store to clean them up for me. I suspected that I had oil deposited on the sensor causing the streaks. This is especially true if you are putting older V lenses (with VX adapter) on the X cameras when lubricant may leak out from the older V lenses. Special caution not to blow the X sensor with high pressure compressed air as this may force some dust particles get trapped inside the camera or the sensor.