Phocus wish list

Previous topic - Next topic

HughGilbert

I'd like phocus to shift a little faster on my older laptop

I'd like Flex to be able to pick up the GPS data.  The GIL is a really useful tool.

Rotation and minor rotation adjustments in Phocus, as in 'PS arbitary rotation' would be good.  My horizons are always a little off and it's a pain to rotate everything in PS.

I still haven't figured out how to get the file names the way I want them...

Like Monty, I can't understand why Flex wasn't given a makeover... that would seem to be a progressive step..

All best from a rainy Sussex (Again)
Time to Wrangle next door's chickens out of the vegetable patch again.>>!

Hugh

alexkent

Quote from: HughGilbert on September 06, 2008, 10:46:19 PM
Rotation and minor rotation adjustments in Phocus, as in 'PS arbitary rotation' would be good.  My horizons are always a little off and it's a pain to rotate everything in PS.

a little bird told me... arbitrary rotation may soon appear in Phocus.

my horizons are also often 'on the wonk'.

robertpoll

Hi Hugh,

Understand what you say about evolving flex rather than re-writing, but with all software you get to a point where evolving it further becomes very difficult and re-writing from scratch is necessary. It's difficult to say for sure without seeing all of the detail, but I really do suspect Flex was at that point. I tend to think that Hasselblad made the right choice. It's frustrating that the delivery dates we so badly missed, but that's quite common too - estimating software development times is very difficult, particularly for smaller organizations. On balance I think, whicls it's not perfect, they did a decent job for version 1. Will be interesting to see how much of the wish-list gets cleared up in the next version!

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

NickT

Quote from: HughGilbert on September 06, 2008, 10:46:19 PM
I'd like phocus to shift a little faster on my older laptop

Phocus 1.1 screen draws are significantly faster on my MacPro (near instant) so I can only assume they;ll be faster on your laptop..

All in 1.1

Nick-T

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

How about directtly importing from 3FR to DNG? I don't seem to be able to find that in Phocus. I could do that in Flexcolor it would be nice if I can do the same with Phocus.

Tim Read

Hi Guys and Gals

I'd like to have a timed delay on the exposure built into Phocus / Flexcolor.  I often work on my own and trying to shoot and hold a reflector in position often requires more flexibility than this ageing body of mine is capable of producing anymore.  So I want to be able to push the button and know I have a 30-60 seconds to get in position.

Ixpress 384, Rollei X-act2, Lens Control S, Blood Type O

Tim

robertpoll

Maybe a cable release or remote trigger with a pocket wizard would be the way to go for you if you need it regularly..? Alternatively you can get a poor man's version with a wireless mouse - position over the capture button in phocus then carefully pick the mouse up so as not to move the mouse pointer  and click the button when ready. On occasions I've used the mouse as a foot switch like this :-)

There's also the self timer on the camera of course, but from memory that resets itself every time so is a bit of a pain.

hope that helps!

..rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

Dustbak

3 things I really would like to see in Phocus which will make my life much easier.

1) I would like to see in the thumb of the file whether I am dealing with a single shot or multishot (like I could in Flexcolor). Now I can only see that when I activate the thumb and when I have the capture info pane activated. This is not handy! If you can see in the thumb what it is, it is much easier to select all 4 shots for processing for instance. Now I need to select them by hand piece for piece.

Or is there another way?

2) I want to see how much images still need to be processed in the icon in the Dock (again like in Flexcolor). This way I know when to continue to work instead of regularly checking how far Phocus is.

3) I want to be able to turn the screen totally off when using the back tethered. Nothing as annoying as a bright screen turning on when doing critical focus (maybe this has also got to do with me being a left-eye photographer).

alexkent

Tim; if you were shooting on an H-body you could use the body's interval shooting function. Otherwise robert's suggestions are good, i'd add you could also remote control your shooting computer from an iPhone (see  http://www.panoscan.com/VFiPhone.mov ) or any other mobile phone which is able to run a vnc client (most phones which can have applications installed on them).

Duskbak; totally reasonable requests. regarding the 'images left to process' counter, i think the processing queue is much too hidden in Phocus. I'd like the queue to be visible all the time when images are queued, i suggest it could appear in the bottom left of the interface (covering part of the Disk/Folder view, like the Artwork pane appears in iTunes).

alex.

Ralf Mueller

Hi,

I'm totally new to Phocus (using 1.1), i like it but miss couple of features Adobe added
to Camera Raw with CS3:
- Recovery
- Fill Light
- Clarity
I'm not sure if there are equivalent features in Phocus 1.1 for that, just got
so used to it in ACR.

Regards,
  Ralf

NickT

Just a note to say thanks for the great suggestions, please keep them coming, I know for a fact that many of them are on the 1.2 wishlist in Denmark.
Regards
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hcubell

There are no equivalents in Phocus. I am sure Hasselblad is aware that many of us would like to see these tools in the next version of Phocus.

Dustbak

Another thing that would be very welcome in Phocus. Something I even miss in ACR BTW!

I would like to be able to select either RGB or CMYK in the sampler values (right side under the image). I sometimes (often with portraits) color correct skin based on CMYK values. The closer I can get during raw conversion the less time I need to correct in PS.

Dustbak

Another thing that comes to mind while I am doing some images at this moment. I would like to have a much better histogram, bigger, with more height and a visible scale division. It is now very hard to see what is where and how far you are from any point including black & white clipping points.

While you are at it maybe this can also be done for the backs.

Have a look at a Leaf Aptus back and see how those histograms are, a work of art and so much easier to use!

Dustbak

Just passing on some of the pressure I am getting from my own clients everyday ;)

All kidding aside. I think there are quite a few points that would make our life so much easier and pleasurable. Many of these points aren't even that far fetched and I am not even talking about support for the Windows platform ;)

But.... to show my goodwill I will refrain from entering points on my wish list for at least another week. By that time I should have things to do with the new Phocus version with the new firmware with ISO & speed bump...