New Makro Lens

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Well guys, I cancelled my B&H order for the new XCD 120mm lens a few days ago. I decided that $4500 was too much money for me to spend on a lens that I neither needed, nor would use that much. HOWEVER...

In place of this, I just now went to Ebay, and purchased a nice Hasselblad Zeiss CF 135 Makro Planar lens (goes to 1:1) plus a Hassy auto bellows. I also purchased the Kipon Hass to X1D adapter.  Total cost for all three items plus shipping is about $1100.

I have no doubt that the XCD 120 lens will be phenomenal (I've seen its MTF charts, and they are impressive), but the cost was just more than I wanted to spend. I also realize that my purchased rig will only work in manual mode, and with a stop-down aperture. But, I will always be on a tripod, and will meter with a Sekonic, so it's not a big deal to me. And the $3000+ I saved will go towards the XCD 21mm lens when it hits the market.

I plan to post images when it all gets here. The lens & bellows are coming from Atlanta, so they should be here in a couple of days, but I have no idea how long it will take for the adapter to get here from China.

flash

I'm also skipping the 120mm. I have some stellar macro lenses including the Leica S 120mm and Zeiss 100mm Makro Plannar. I rarely use them as macro lenses.

So the announced 135mm will be my longer lens. It suits me better, has the teleconverter and compliments the 90mm better in focal length spread.

Gordon

BradP

Very interesting ideas.  You both have inspired at least several hours of internet research tonight for me.

The Leica 120mm f2.5 looks pretty interesting at the moment . . ..  can I limit myself to manual only?  Hmmm. 

Addendum: a couple hours later now, I'm going to sit on my XCD order a while longer.  The reason is the MTF charts and it's native.  Interesting idea though.  I have a Leica telescope eyepiece and there is something really special about it.   I hope to feel the same way about the XCD 120.  And hopefully soon! 

tedtrimmer

The Kipon Adapter took 10 days to arrive.