Slow image render Phocus 1.2

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Read

Hi All

This is a handy tip if you find that the image render time is slow, and I'm talking geological time here, with Phocus - buy a good book!

I'm not shooting big files here max 100mb Ixpress 384, Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad Core. 10 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.  But from the time the image arrives on the monitor till I can see if it's sharp can be in excess of.. actually I ran out of patience.  I can check sharpness at 100% OK but the "standard" view is not rendered anything like sharp isn't it supposed to be?

regards Fuzzy of Nottingham

Ps 1.2 does appear to be pretty stable though so I suppose one can't ask for everything!!

Phil G

Hi Tim

Have you tried it with Activity Monitor open to see what's going on ?

I found that Phocus uses CPU's and not Graphics Card for image grunching unlike Aperture which is much faster ref earlier post on subject 

I just checked Phocus 1.2  on my early 08 Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad 12GB RAM with the Radeon HD 4870 (latest upgrade) it's bobbling up to 350% for a 50MB .fff to 100% 

Newbie to HBlad so not familiar with Ixpress 384 files

Regards

Phil

from top end of east midlands
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

rsmphoto

After 2 solid days of shooting tethered with 1.2 (H3DII-39), I've had several random crashes which involves partial or complete corruption of the preview image as it is rendered, and I also experience the same slow 100% rendering when being viewed with sharpness added. Phocus 1.2 appears to render a preview in 3 stages: soft preview image, sharp preview, then the designated sharpening is added (this last stage is the slow one). Definitely slower than with 1.1.3.

Also, when capturing a shot with the preview screen left at 100%, the newly captured image preview hangs never making it past the first rendering stage in the preview window (i.e. a sharp or sharpened preview is never rendered).

R

2.4 GHz Core2Duo unibody MacBook Pro 4GB RAM

NickT

Quote from: Richard Mandelkorn on June 05, 2009, 11:59:39 PM

Also, when capturing a shot with the preview screen left at 100%, the newly captured image preview hangs never making it past the first rendering stage in the preview window (i.e. a sharp or sharpened preview is never rendered).

Yes I've seen this too though not every single time.. I only loaded 1.2 final on Friday so haven't done enough testing yet but there do seem to be some screen draw issues.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

horseoncoboy

Quote from: Richard Mandelkorn on June 05, 2009, 11:59:39 PM

R

2.4 GHz Core2Duo unibody MacBook Pro 4GB RAM

yes, this is another bug. makes me ask who and how they do beta testing if they oversee such major problems. i can reproduce this with 2 machines. i also see sometimes a strange behavior after using live view a corrupted greenish  preview.

Dustbak

This has been reported during Beta testing. I know because I did so.

horseoncoboy

Quote from: Dustbak on June 08, 2009, 12:27:17 AM
This has been reported during Beta testing. I know because I did so.

still can't understand that such a big bug made it in the final release.   a public beta with a longer testing  period to the final version would be  smart.

rsmphoto

Quote from: horseoncowboy on June 08, 2009, 02:01:03 AM

still can't understand that such a big bug made it in the final release.   a public beta with a longer testing  period to the final version would be a smart.

Seems like that's what we're doing!

yongsikshin

Well, I've been doing test (H3DII-39) with my personal use iMac ( :o) and the main viewer image comes up with blazing speed. Even at 400% enlargement and sharpness at 500 something, it's really fast compared to 1.1.3.

(Yep, I left the viewer at 400% and kept fired shots after shots...Of course, it was hard to make out at 400%. But when I did the same thing at 100%, image rendered without any abnormality.)

Main viewer definition has been noticeably improved further from 1.1.3, that I could observe.

Probably 'good(or acceptable) viewer definition' could be in terms of subjectivity. In my case, both speed and quality of image rendering seem to be better than previous version.

I've shot only dozen or so but didn't crash once... Perhaps I need to keep firing away to see crash issue on 1.2. (I know you guys are right about being concerned with occasionally crashing Phocus 'cause it faltered H3D-22 and me once in a while since the Beta age...)

yongsikshin

OK.. Now I see what 'slow image render' means.

I shot the first shot with Phocus viewer set at stardard, and then enlarged 100%. Then I shot the viewer still at 100%. It yielded no funny result.

Then I deleted'em all and fired the first shot of 2nd trial sequence zoom still set at 100%. From that point, image rendering seemed to be halted.

So I put it back to standard mode, fired 2nd shot, then bumped up 100%. Image rendering of enlarged viewer window came back to normal.

Since then, shooting at 100% or more seemed to work fine.

So I guess if you want to shoot your shot while your viewer set at 100%, you might want to shoot the very first shot with standard mode, then pull it 100%, and get go from there.

rsmphoto

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on June 08, 2009, 11:41:11 AM

Didn't you get your Hasselblad Testers 2009 certificate?

I was awarded Hasselblad Tester 2008, in the Landscape/Nature category.

Kind regards,
Derek

I check my mailbox daily....

rsmphoto

Quote from: yongsikshin on June 08, 2009, 06:51:37 PM
OK.. Now I see what 'slow image render' means.

So I guess if you want to shoot your shot while your viewer set at 100%, you might want to shoot the very first shot with standard mode, then pull it 100%, and get go from there.

Thanks, maybe this is an issue relegated only to the MacBook Pro (graphics card?), but still, a "work around" shouldn't be necessary with a  final release, regardless. But really, how on earth did this bug get past the beta testers???

Monty Rakusen

Oh this sounds so sad.

One poor bloke in Sweden doing all the testing!

Monty Rakusen

rsmphoto

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on June 09, 2009, 02:58:05 AM
Quote from: Monty Rakusen on June 09, 2009, 02:27:45 AM
Oh this sounds so sad.

One poor bloke in Sweden doing all the testing!

Monty Rakusen

NO! Their development staff is at least two times that!  ;D

In all seriousness, this happens and I think we tend to only post complaints about the programmers and never praise them for the new features. This happens all the time too. Programming is such an under-understood sport!

Kind regards,
Derek

Au contraire! A post I made recently on another thread here... although maybe I should have written "guy(s)"

"Amazing how something as simple as the thumbnail badges and the navigation tool make such a difference, not to mention the speed improvements. All-in-all this is a great update. Thanks to the software guys at Hasselblad! We appreciate the hard work."

R

Tim Read

[\quote]

In all seriousness, this happens and I think we tend to only post complaints about the programmers and never praise them for the new features. This happens all the time too. Programming is such an under-understood sport!

[/quote]

Any one got a tissue?