++ X1D V1.19 Firmware available later today ++

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonBoy

Just got the eMail from HB. Looks like V 0.56 new lens firmware is available as well. I will install later tonight when I got time.

BostonBoy

I just updated the X1D and all 3 lenses 30-45-90 to the latest Firmware. All worked, and the camera is operational. I can't speak to the features yet (e.g. round aperture Bokeh) but at first glance it looks like the AF point selection via touch still requires to press and hold the AF/MF button.

So far, so good. I report back.

hcubell

Quote from: BostonBoy on October 25, 2017, 03:23:31 AM
I just updated the X1D and all 3 lenses 30-45-90 to the latest Firmware. All worked, and the camera is operational. I can't speak to the features yet (e.g. round aperture Bokeh) but at first glance it looks like the AF point selection via touch still requires to press and hold the AF/MF button.

I reprogrammed the AF/MF button to just call up the AF point selection grid and set the LCD section that controls the touch function for the AF point selection to the Left Side of the Screen. I can then look through the viewfinder and use my finger on the touch screen to move the point selected. Works great so far. For me, this is more efficient to use than a joystick on the right side of the camera body, as I hold the camera body with my right hand and use my right eye to look through the EVF.
Kudos to Hasselblad. However, why limit the custom button configuration to just three buttons? Why not the AE-L Button and the AF-D buttons as well? Also, I wish that the focus peaking could be turned on and off with one of the buttons. I use it but it don't like to compose a photograph with it ON all of the time.

BostonBoy

Quote from: hcubell on October 25, 2017, 04:04:52 AM
Quote from: BostonBoy on October 25, 2017, 03:23:31 AM

I reprogrammed the AF/MF button to just call up the AF point selection grid and set the LCD section that controls the touch function for the AF point selection to the Left Side of the Screen. I can then look through the viewfinder and use my finger on the touch screen to move the point selected. Works great so far. For me, this is more efficient to use than a joystick on the right side of the camera body, as I hold the camera body with my right hand and use my right eye to look through the EVF.
Kudos to Hasselblad. However, why limit the custom button configuration to just three buttons? Why not the AE-L Button and the AF-D buttons as well? Also, I wish that the focus peaking could be turned on and off with one of the buttons. I use it but it don't like to compose a photograph with it ON all of the time.

I just figured it out. I set the touch pad the right (Right Eye Shooter here), and you can move the AF point instantly while looking through the EVF.

Really NICE. Just what the good doctor ordered.

hcubell

Quote from: galoubet on October 25, 2017, 06:09:23 AM
Quote from: BostonBoy on October 25, 2017, 05:14:12 AM

I just figured it out. I set the touch pad the right (Right Eye Shooter here), and you can move the AF point instantly while looking through the EVF.

I'm a left eye shooter (but I'm right handed). My nose gets in the way!!

Why not use your left index finger on the left side of the screen, so you can still hold the body with your right hand?

Neimad

Can someone provides more details on: "Possible to use the full round aperture of the XCD Lenses."
What does "Full Round Aperture" means?

pflower

Yes, I can't understand HB's suggestion to set the area to the right.  Since you hold the camera with your right hand the logical solution is to set it to the left and use your left index finger to move the points.  Trying it out on the right simply doesn't work for me.

Quote from: hcubell on October 25, 2017, 06:42:50 AM
Quote from: galoubet on October 25, 2017, 06:09:23 AM
Quote from: BostonBoy on October 25, 2017, 05:14:12 AM

I'm a left eye shooter (but I'm right handed). My nose gets in the way!!

Why not use your left index finger on the left side of the screen, so you can still hold the body with your right hand?

BradP

I just woke up and our power is out due to major thunderstorms last night, probably for quite a while.  I'm excited to download this when I can!   Everything looks terrific. iPhone still working though.

One question. There's a note about the XCD lenses being round wide open.  Could someone kindly explain that?  I had thought that was impossible due to the mechanics. 

BostonBoy

Quote from: BradP on October 25, 2017, 07:15:34 AM
I just woke up and our power is out due to major thunderstorms last night, probably for quite a while.  I'm excited to download this when I can!   Everything looks terrific. iPhone still working though.

One question. There's a note about the XCD lenses being round wide open.  Could someone kindly explain that?  I had thought that was impossible due to the mechanics.

The latest online manual V1.7 has a detailed explanation with graphics on page 107. You will find it online on the HB web site.

hcubell

Quote from: Neimad on October 25, 2017, 06:53:28 AM
Can someone provides more details on: "Possible to use the full round aperture of the XCD Lenses."
What does "Full Round Aperture" means?

Check p. 107 of the new Manual. There is a cryptic reference there  that selecting the option for Full Round Aperture may (1) cause a "slight" overexposure and (2) increase the risk of "internal reflections." Hmmm.

BradP

Thanks.  Just saw the manual pictures of the new round aperture in the manual  That is so awesome it makes me want to cry like a little baby.  This is the best of all worlds in lens functionality.  Bravo Hasselblad.  At least in my mind and use, the X1D platform today is clearly and without any doubt the best camera in its class. 

And as if a sign from God, the power just came on.  Next stop, desktop!

elwood

Here's what it looks like  8) Just made a Gif from hasselblad's video found on youtube

https://i.giphy.com/media/3ov9jS3vm4weO8TkaY/giphy.mp4  ;)

Can't wait to play again with my X1D

BradP

Just installed and tested. Works like a charm. Some day I want to find out how they did the aperture magic.  Probably have a tiny bit more light gathering capability too.  The manual says the round aperture could lead to slight overexposures.  Something to be aware of for now, but possibly something that a TrueExposure firmware update can resolve too at some point in time.  Whatever, I'm just grateful for the update today.  Just super.  Makes me want to go out and shoot (in the rain today).

rent

Thanks for making the gif. Curious, when the bokeh changes to round, the blue point in the middle disappears. I have yet had time to read the manual on how this magic works; but wondering if the disappearing blue point was just an oversight, or related to this round bokeh voodoo.

Quote from: elwood on October 25, 2017, 08:37:38 AM
Here's what it looks like  8) Just made a Gif from hasselblad's video found on youtube

https://i.giphy.com/media/3ov9jS3vm4weO8TkaY/giphy.mp4  ;)

Can't wait to play again with my X1D
Alex Jiang

Instagram

siddhaarta

KUDOS Hasselblad. How to transform one of the most criticized ergonomic disadvantages (lack of joy stick) to a distinctive advantage (touch pad control AF points with EVF), compared to other camera brands. Ingenious !!