H6D-100c or X1D on photography trip to China?

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterDorr

I will be particpating in a big 14 day Silk Road photography trip in China in 2 weeks time.
I used to take my H6D with me but since it so bulky I am now considering taking the X1D instead.

The picture quality is almost similar to me and the 45 and 90 mm lens are covering most of my needs.
I will take a HC 24mm/f4.8, a 100mm/f2.2 and a 210mm/f4.0 with a converter for those special moments but for the rest I am covered I think, saving me tons of travel/weight issues.

What do you guys think?
Wise or am I missing something?

Thanks
Peter

mkerouac

Repeating my response from the X1D page
;

I own both cameras and I agree.  The X1D will be much easier to carry than the H6.  Personally, I would leave the 210 at home too and just crop for Zoom.  As I have gotten older, my ambitions in terms of carry a big kit have faded.   :)

I hope you have a safe and rewarding trip.  Please post images when you get back.

fiatlux

I would probably not take a Hasselblad H on an extended trip - but then I typically travel with a Leica M and 3-4 lenses only (28, 50 and 90, sometimes with a 21 added to the mix). I probably shoot 95% with the 28 and 50 alone.

If I had to go for the X1D (a very tempting machine indeed), I would like to go for the 30, 65 and 120 combo but the latter two are not available yet. In any case, I feel the 90 and 100 are a bit too close in focal length to take both if weight is a concern. I would leave either the 90 or 100 at home, and perhaps not even take the 210 at all.

fsprow

Although the weight was sometimes off-putting, I used my H6D-100C with 100 and 50mm in central asia recently, usually walking 7-10 miles per day.  I don't have an X1D but find the resolution and especially subtle colors from the H so convincing it's worth the mild pain!

Will be taking it to Egypt in a month (Cairo, artifacts and Nile River) so better start building arm and shoulder muscles.

Frank

jerome_m

Something else. I don't know about you, but I find that my pictures are not as good as I like them to be for some time after I got a new camera. It simply takes time to get used to a new machine. So if I want to take good pictures on a trip, I try to pack a camera I have been using for some time. YMMV.

PeterDorr

Thanks a lot for all your input
I wil take my X1D indeed and leave the H6D at home!
Great advice here.
Thanks

JOHN-x2d

In my opinion, X2D is my backup camera. I bought a used H5d60. In comparison, I prefer the image quality of H5D. I  put it in my pickup truck every day.

JCM-Photos

Talking hust about H5D image quality means nothing !

It had amoung other backs also the 50c sensor identical to tge X1D ! (also true for the H6D)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ashdown

Yes, the X1D is the best choice. The weight difference will mean you still have a steady hand by the end of the day. China is a wonderful place for photography. The people are very welcoming and if you treat them with respect there is no problem with taking street portraits. Crime is very low and tourists are treated very well although prices for foreigners are often higher than those for locals. It's hard to not look like a tourist (particularly if like me you are tall, white and blonde) but away from the tourist centres you will stand out and draw attention which makes it harder to take discrete, natural photos of people. I have got used to locals pointing, staring and taking photos of me but it felt very strange at first.