Graphics Card Upgrade for Mac Pro - Early 08 -09

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil G

Hi following on from a post in the Software section I have started this new thread.

I have been using a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB on the Mac Pro which was the fastest one available when I purchased in November apart from the 3D one which costs as much as the rest of the machine.

I have just installed the latest upgrade card a ATI Radeon 4870 HD 512MB   

I was hoping to be able to use the existing card as well but unfortunately the new one uses both the power taps and is quite a beast being double width the  fan vent taking up the adjacent holes venting to rear of machine.

It is spookily quiet I have tested it using Aperture with .fff files   as well as Phocus I can drag at 100% in Full Screen mode on a 30" Apple Cinema and it redraws withn a second of releasing grab.

So my only problem is the second screen the card has one of those new mini outputs so adaptor required or finding some way to use the old card which the Apple store said I should be able to use but they had obviously not checked out the upgrade as I am a power tap short?

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Phil G

I have just done a couple of tests with Activity monitor open and when using Phocus and dragging or scrolling a  100% image I have seen my CP indicator hit over 500%  it's 8 core so 800% is max

But when doing similar with Aperture2 when I first open and it loads a 100% image it pops up to 300%+ and then drops back to less than 50% and when I grab the 100% image I can drag and scroll with CPU never getting over 50%

It would appear in Aperture2 the Graphics Card is doing all the work whereas in Phocus it's the CPU

Phil

NickT

Hi Phil
Interesting stuff! I know that Phocus DOES leverage the GPU much like Aperture but I guess it relies on CPU as well. I really enjoy the aperture viewing experience and hope Phocus can compete in the future.
Do please keep us posted about your new graphics card, I may well be tempted to upgrade my 8800 512. BTW at Photokina I played with Phocus on a PC (I wore gloves) and the screen draws were near instant.. will have to find out what cards they were running.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Phil G

Re the new card

Only downsides so far are

1. If you want to attach two 30"  monitors you need a special adaptor which cost an extra £68 to get you from mini Display Port to full DVI  the 'standard' Mini to DVI adaptor (£20)  is suitable for up to 23" and other mfg's Monitors.

2. Unfortunately the Card uses both the power taps on the mother board So I cannot use my 'old' Nvidia 8800GT  as a second card unless there is away to bring in the extra power and not invalidate warranty possibly from second optical drive which I don't use ( and there is a spare SATA connector Mmmm I wonder ... possible eSATA tap)

Apart from those niggles it is running my 30" and a LG 24" Flatron as second screen with no problems quiet and fast

Phil