My "dream" system

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

This is about as far as I plan to go with the X camera. Even now, it's more than I can carry, and I'll probably put some of the older lenses on the auction block in the near future.

From L to R
HC 300mm w/XH adapter, HCD 35-90 zoom, XCD 30mm, XCD 21mm, XCD 90mm, XCD 120mm, Zeiss CF 250mm Sonnar, Zeiss 135mm Makro-PLanar & bellows focusing system, plus Kipon adapter. In the middle - X1D-50c body, XCD 45mm, and RRS L bracket.

BillW

Wow, I would never post something like this where my wife might see it..!!!! ;D
Thanks
Bill

fotophil

Great kit you assembled - what more is there to want? Silly question because there will always be more - like 35-70 Zoom or 135mm prime, maybe a 200mm or longer primes or how about a wired release?

Michael H. Cothran

I'd really love to have a wired release.

BillW

Thanks
Bill

sog1927

Likewise.

A silly question here, Michael, you have about as much C/CF/CFE gear as I do. Have you never felt the need for a V->X adapter that works like the V->H adapter and lets you use the lens shutter in those lenses?

Michael H. Cothran

Sog1927 - I have a Kipon V~X adapter. It's sitting on the back of the bellows unit in the picture. The Zeiss lenses work fine on the X1D, but I'm not a big fan of the electronic shutter.

MomentsForZen

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on July 29, 2018, 12:27:20 PM
This is about as far as I plan to go with the X camera. Even now, it's more than I can carry, and I'll probably put some of the older lenses on the auction block in the near future.

From L to R
HC 300mm w/XH adapter, HCD 35-90 zoom, XCD 30mm, XCD 21mm, XCD 90mm, XCD 120mm, Zeiss CF 250mm Sonnar, Zeiss 135mm Makro-PLanar & bellows focusing system, plus Kipon adapter. In the middle - X1D-50c body, XCD 45mm, and RRS L bracket.

Lovely spread, Michael ! You must have felt happy setting this photograph up !?

I have been looking to get an HC 300mm or HC 210mm lens (plus XH adapter) for my X1D, and I have confirmed with Hasselblad that I need a lens with firmware v18.0.0 or later to get autofocus.

I was curious which of your HC/HCD lenses support autofocus with your X1D?

Do all of the HC/HCD lenses support aperture control via the HC adapter?

Do you feel that the C/CF/CFE lenses are of limited value on the X1D since you are stuck in this instance (i.e., with the 250mm and 135mm f/5.6 Zeiss lenses) to f/5.6 and f/5.6 only with the adapter solutions?

Thanking you for your time and thoughts ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Michael H. Cothran

MomentsForZen - In order to ascertain auto focus with H lenses on the X1D, you MUST have the newer orange-dot H lenses. The newer firmware cannot be installed on the older H lenses. So if you need or want AF, you will have no choice but to purchase the newer, more expensive H lenses with orange dots. The orange-dot lenses also have the newer shutters, going to 1/2000 sec max, while my older lenses only go to 1/800 sec.

My H lenses are all the older versions, so I am resigned to manual focus only. The only H lens I use on a regular basis is the HC300. I have a couple of friends who are dedicated bird & wildlife photographers, so I often tag along with one of them on their outings. I use the Focus Peaking feature on the X1D, and can actually focus pretty quickly and accurately with it. Even with the option of AF, the HC300 can't hold a candle to the speed of the DSLR tele's in the 400-500mm range. Nor can I follow-thru on a flying bird. As such, I have to choose my subjects carefully.
But for other subjects using the 300, like portraits, etc., with focus peaking, I can shoot quite comfortably.

And yes, all the H lenses support Aperture Priority automation with the XH adapter.

The Zeiss lenses all perform beautifully. I have used quite a lot of them on H bodies as well as the X1D. I can't tell any differences in IQ between the Zeiss & H lenses. However, on the down side, you are obligated to use the Electronic shutter in the X1D. Plus you must stop down the lens to the working aperture in order to get a meter reading and shoot. There is NO electronic OR mechanical connection between the lens and X1D. You do still retain focus confirmation, and the camera meter will work to indicate the proper shutter speed once you set your stopped down aperture. But, the electronic shutter does not allow you to use strobes, or any kind of flickering light. So, on the X1D, you are very limited in what the Zeiss lenses can do for you. But their image quality, IMO, is second to none. I don't mind the 5.6 max aperture at all.

MomentsForZen

Michael - You have provided an amazing amount of information. My thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

fotophil

It is pretty hard to find the orange dot Hasselblad HC Lenses in the used market and when available they command a much higher price than the older lenses. In general they correspond to lenses made 2013 and later - the serial number will help as well as confirmation of the new 1/2000 shutter. Unfortunately this information is usually not provided in used lens listings. For example Roberts Camera in Indianapolis provides info on their used Hasselblad lenses but KEH and many of the New York Stores do not.

Good luck hunting - you'll need it!!

sog1927

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on July 30, 2018, 07:54:17 AM
Sog1927 - I have a Kipon V~X adapter. It's sitting on the back of the bellows unit in the picture. The Zeiss lenses work fine on the X1D, but I'm not a big fan of the electronic shutter.

It's okay for some things - but I have more V-series gear(40, 50, 80, 120 Macro, 250, 500Apo, 2x Mutar, a bunch of extension tubes, autobellows, microscope shutter, macro flash, RMS lens mount adapter, some Luminars, and a Leitz Photar) than you do (and no H-series gear), so I probably run into its limitations more often than you do. I've been using the Fotodiox adapter.

mar-ko

Michael, please allow me to adjust your statement regarding autofocus abilities of HC lenses.

There are a few "non orange dot" lenses that do have a firmware new enough to be upgradable to autofocus on the X1D. I own an HCD 24 built in 2014 (without the orange dot) and AF works great.

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks for the correction.