New X1D review

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriscove

michael123

QuoteAt those sizes you still see the effect of my lighting setup and the depth-of-field I choose but you don't see the additional detail or tonal benefit the X1D brings over my Canon EOS 5D Mk III, so it would be hard for me to justify the X1D's price.

Come on, we have 5Dmk3, the image quality (resolution, color, etc.) is incomparable..

jwillson

Quote from: michael123 on August 02, 2018, 05:42:43 AM
QuoteAt those sizes you still see the effect of my lighting setup and the depth-of-field I choose but you don't see the additional detail or tonal benefit the X1D brings over my Canon EOS 5D Mk III, so it would be hard for me to justify the X1D's price.

Come on, we have 5Dmk3, the image quality (resolution, color, etc.) is incomparable..

I think you may be taking this out fo context.  He mentions specifically, when down-sampling for the resolution his clients expect (maximum of 3,000 pixels) the X1D has no additional detail or tonal benefits over a full frame 35mm.  I think that is likely accurate.  Medium format down-sampled to six megapixels is likely a waste in most situations.  If six megapixels is all his clients want, I, too, would select a faster, smaller camera.  Probably something in the 24 megapixel range to leave some room for cropping.  Maybe even an APS-C sized camera to save some weight (assuming I could find one where I was happy with the lenses and that gave me the depth of field control I wanted).

michael123

We clearly see a difference, not in print, but on monitor