X1D Future proof?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ski542002

Hi:  New member.  Shot 500CM in the prehistoric past and now looking to get into digital MF after having shot DSLR's since their inception. Attended a seminar in Chicago where I had a chance to test drive the X1D with the 3 primes, saving files to my SD card. Purposely tested only at 3200 ISO handheld under dim, contrasty mixed lighting, because that's the kind of environ. I shoot under for many projects.  Great camera, good EVF, clean files @ 3200, fairly quiet, especially compared to the 500CM!

After rambling to my question(s).  Used to shoot with the Phase and they now have their  IQ150, XF and 80mm LS  promo.  Of course their promo package is just one lens for about the same price as the X1D with all 3 lenses.  THEIR argument is, greater optics selection and because the 50MP back is detachable, I can buy (if I want to spend $45,000) or rent a huge MP back using the same body/lens.  That's a valid argument but at a much higher buy-in because I'd have to purchase at least a wide & short tele (+$8,000) to make even a minimal kit for pro use. 

My hope is, given the (comparably) low cost of the X1D body, hopefully down the line, Hasselblad will release a body with a much higher MP count?  Also, does anyone know if the X1D lenses are backwards compatible to Hasselblad's current modular lineup? IF yes, then I could at least use my 3 X1D lenses on a larger MP rental.

Just looking for opinions!

Greg

According to some comments on discussion forums, Sony has a roadmap to a 100 megapixel 44X33 sensor.  It follows that the next iteration of the X1D, perhaps X2D, would have the new Sony sensor.  For me, after 40 megapixels, the increase in megapixel count is irrelevant. 

Greg

NickT

Note you will also be able to use HC lenses on your X1D in the future. X1D lenses will only work on X platform so almost certainly they will work on the next generation X camera whatever that may be.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

Quote from: Greg on May 13, 2017, 05:01:17 AM
According to some comments on discussion forums, Sony has a roadmap to a 100 megapixel 44X33 sensor.

According to Sony as well:

http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/news/detail/170301.pdf

rsinclair

I have a P1 IQ180 (80MP) and started years ago with the P45 and then the P65.  I now also have an X1D.  Ignoring the differences in MP's, the P1's and X1D are completely different animals and like other cameras I also have, choose between them depending upon the circumstance.

The value for me with the P1 back is the ability to put it on different bodies depending upon the use/circumstance.  For me its 3 cameras in one; I use the P1 645 because its the most portable choice in my P1 stable, the massive Linhof m679 for certain landscape requirements (that don't involve backpacking!), and a Mamiya RZ67 because its from my film days and its fun to be able to use the digital back with the old lenses that create a sense of texture or grain in the image which can be nice. 

Because I also have a 30+ year history w/ Leica's, back to the M4 and now have the M9, if I were to point to any camera that might be left at home due to the X1D, its the M9.  Both cameras are roughly the same size and are highly portable.  While I much prefer the Leica optical viewfinder over the EVF of the X1D, the X1D image quality is remarkable.

No doubt the P1 entry pricing is a hurdle (so I've not yet traded up to the 100MP) and I don't find it's a setup for every circumstance, but for studio and landscapes, some combination using one of the various bodies have worked well for me.  I've not had the opportunity yet to take the X1D out into the field, and it will be interesting to see over time if AEB is incorporated into a firmware update (the P1 645 allows for 3 or 5-shot AEB), but from the outdoor testing I've done, the dynamic range covers a lot and manually bracketing can be used if necessary.

Hope this helps :)