X1D - Determining Hyperfocus Distances

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Would like to find an online chart or iPhone app that would be appropriate for helping me determine/calculate proper hyperfocus distances for XCD lenses.
I've done some online searching, but can't find anything that sounds specific and/or precise enough to use with the X1D. Or, at least, that's within my grasp of understanding.

Best I could find is that the circle of confusion for 645 cameras is 0.047, so I am guessing that the 33x44mm sensor, which is a bit smaller, should be about 0.044. I did find a calculator online where I can enter this data, along with the focal length, and come up with the hyperfocus distances for each f-stop.
Does this sound "close enough?"

Here's a link to the site I used. How accurate these "distances" are is, I presume, dependent on how accurate my X1D's circle of confusion @ 0.044 actually is.
http://www.panohelp.com/hyperfocaldistance.html

Alex

For an app I've been using Pcam for calculating things like DoF, Angle of View & Hyperfocal:
Iphone U.K. -  https://appsto.re/gb/L7eNr.i

Being able to add customised sensors for actual exact field of view is a real help - I should add that I haven't relied on it yet for Digital @ 100% CoC (I use a computer app for this,  unfortunately it's Windows only).

Alex

hcubell

Even if you know the hyperfocal distance for a particular f/stop for an XCD lens, how do you set the lens be focused at this distance? There is no DOF scale on the lens and the EVF does not show the distance at which the lens is focused.

Alex

I think that that's a desired feature for digital cameras of the future after programmable in-camera photo stacking: User sets (focuses upon) near point, then far point, then camera works out Hyperfocal point and focuses to that calculated depth of field.

For the meantime we have to use a laser distance measure to find and set those points within the field.

Alex

Quote from: Alex on February 16, 2017, 09:25:33 PM
User sets (focuses upon) near point, then far point, then camera works out Hyperfocal point and focuses to that calculated depth of field.

Sorry - I haven't had my morning coffee as yet - I was going on more about programming / manually setting optimum depth of focus & focus stacking than Hyperfocal - So sorry for going off topic.
However a camera's capacity to check it aperture setting and then set the Hyperfocal distance is in a similar area of application: Does P1's XF camera body have this function? - I think it has programmable photo stack shooting.

Alex

KeithL

Quote from: hcubell on February 16, 2017, 02:48:24 PM
Even if you know the hyperfocal distance for a particular f/stop for an XCD lens, how do you set the lens be focused at this distance? There is no DOF scale on the lens and the EVF does not show the distance at which the lens is focused.

I would hope that a FW update could deliver an in camera DOF scale or at the very least the distance focused. I mourn the loss of distance scales on many modern lenses.

hcubell

Quote from: KeithL on February 17, 2017, 01:07:01 AM
Quote from: hcubell on February 16, 2017, 02:48:24 PM

I would hope that a FW update could deliver an in camera DOF scale or at the very least the distance focused. I mourn the loss of distance scales on many modern lenses.

Agreed. It would be terrific if the firmware could be configured to allow you to (1) record the hyperfocal setting for each lens and aperture that you could call up in the camera menu and (2) focus on the closest distance you want in focus and the farthest and let the camera calculate the appropriate focus setting. I believe that the Phase XF has these capabilities. At a minimum, a digital distance readout in the EVF would be very helpful.

KeithL

Agreed. A digital distance readout in the EVF would be the minimum necessary to meet my needs.

hcubell

Quote from: Bab on February 17, 2017, 04:57:36 AM
This is my number one request digital meters or feet focusing read out numerically and Intergrated Step Focusing.  Please write a email to Hasselblad requesting these the H cameras in the entire system are handicapped without. Part of the code exists with the HTS, the university in Basel has written much more sofisticated code for CapCan so the software for Intergrated Step Forcusing has been done before? Why the procrastination for basic firmware needs exists at the Hasselblad management level is a mystery. One would think sharp images with automation would only be an asset. Please email your Hasselblad rep or the company directly.

I am sure Hasselblad is aware of our desire for these features. The issues are (1) adequacy of staffing and (2) priortization of the various feature requests. This is where one would hope that DJI could jump in and help. The kind of firmware changes we are talking about is probably child's play compared to the complexity of the tasks handled by the firmware for DJI's drones.

howsol

I don't have the camera yet (still waiting) but the manual I downloaded for the X1D on page 67 refers to a "lens distance scale" from which depth of field can be read.  Since there are no markings on the lenses for this camera, can someone tell me if depressing the stop down / depth of field preview button displays a scale in the EVF with this info? Fuji has done this on their cameras before.

Michael H. Cothran

This is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

KeithL

Quote from: howsol on February 17, 2017, 11:27:23 AM
I don't have the camera yet (still waiting) but the manual I downloaded for the X1D on page 67 refers to a "lens distance scale" from which depth of field can be read.  Since there are no markings on the lenses for this camera, can someone tell me if depressing the stop down / depth of field preview button displays a scale in the EVF with this info? Fuji has done this on their cameras before.

It reads like a passage from the H series manual.

Perhaps Hasselblad forgot that the X series lenses are the first they've introduced that don't have distance scales  :)

On the other hand hopefully it could indicate that the info will be available in a FW update.

Time will tell.

hcubell

Quote from: howsol on February 17, 2017, 11:27:23 AM

I just tried this. It apparently has not been implemented yet. Nothing comes up when the depth of field preview button is pressed.

Hassilistic

Hi Michael, to answer your question you need to know the following (which I can't believe I am doing as this is not the intended use for the X1D but more like the H-system.. hence no markings etc etc etc ..)   

But for what its worth here you go:

- The 50c is a 44x33 format size sensor
- Choose the Standard for the Zeiss Formula Multiplier: 1500 (modern) - 1730 (original) - International (1000)
- Formula ex. : CoC=d/1500 (d=sensor diagonal size mm
)

Bringing the final number from above formula to CoC= 0.037 (0.036666 to be exact)  This indicates how far off we are from the sizes of past decades.

That page you are using is great but note that the results are intended for large prints of 40x60cm viewed at a 1m distance as appose to say 5m for which your calculations will change.

- Now for all of those that were asking how do you measure that in the field? 

Well here's a tip from this old schooler, I use a Laser Range Finder; find a subject at your desired distance using LRF; focus camera on subject; lock focus;[on H-system only - recompose (with True Focus); lock mirror up; wait 5sec ]; take photo.

If anyone still has questions I'll be happy to assist to the best of my abilities.

Cheers,