Processing Hasselblad files in C1 (via a DNG hack)

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

As it has been queried before I thought I'd add this to the forum for all those who might be interested ; Whether in the future it fails or succeeds is another thing but anyway it might hold interest to some:

A year or so ago Photographer / programmer Alex Munoz, made a hack for the Pentax 645 files so that they could be 'accepted' by Capture 1 for editing and demosaicing. I'm not sure how well it worked however it must have had some success as he ended up selling his software. In a recent notice he let it be known that he could also possibly hack the Hasselblad DNGs made from Phocus so as to be editable within C1. In comparison with the other main Phocus alternative - LR, C1 supports ICC colour profile instead of DNG.

Being a hack I can see that it won't be perfect at the outset, however some users may wish to try it out. In the meantime Alex is asking all those who are interested in him developing this as a solution to drop a line:

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3f2f86debe219c212c1b59fc7&id=f248744613&e=0323b8ddc9

"CaptureFix fast for Hasselblad?

Want to import Hasselblad DNG's into C1?

Yes, it's possible! Let me know if you would be interested in this. This won't make sense if there are only 5 people out there wanting something like that, but if there is real demand, I am more than happy to put the hours in and finalize the tool.

All my best,

Alex Munoz"

jerome_m

I appreciate your efforts, but you are set up against an impossible task. Phase One manages Capture 1 as an asset, meaning they will actively fight your efforts and they sit at the longer end of this stick. If you find a hack to make C1 work with a third party medium format camera, of any brand but Phase One, they will actively close the hack in the next C1 release. It is a battle you cannot win.

Buddy

Alex

Quote from: jerome_m on February 04, 2017, 11:13:17 PM
I appreciate your efforts, but you are set up against an impossible task.
This isn't my effort rather another Alex's  ;) Google flagged it up yesterday as being linked to "Hasselblad".
The point is that the query on whether Hasselblad RAW files can be developed in C1 gets asked occasionally and so for those that are interested it might be worth a look just like some Pentax users did. As it's out there, it might give nice results, might not - some might wish to investigate.

A query I have with it already is that Phase one never employed use of the KAF5100 sensor found in all of the 50MP Hasselblad cameras pre CMOS. This makes the me wonder how what/well C1 would deal with images from that sensor (in the link it's showing a 50MP CMOS).

Quote from: jerome_m on February 04, 2017, 11:13:17 PM
Phase One manages Capture 1 as an asset, meaning they will actively fight your efforts and they sit at the longer end of this stick. If you find a hack to make C1 work with third party medium format camera, any brand but Phase One, they will actively close the hack in the next C1 release.
Yep looking at this - Doug Peterson mentioned this on Get DPI when the initial hack was found for Pentax users & yes after actively blocking it Alex Munoz produced an updated workaround here: http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3f2f86debe219c212c1b59fc7&id=bef75f0789

Quote from: Buddy on February 05, 2017, 03:12:13 AM
you don't need a payable app to do this
I think others have said an EXIF editor would allow the same thing - maybe this is the core of it..

In all of this though one thing that'd really get screwed with & lost is the colour: which Hasselblad HNCS really does excel at - Comparing with Light Room, Phocus does a far better job with achieving  more perceptually pleasing colour.

Myself, I'm pretty happy using Phocus and Raw Therapee for my Hasselblad files.

Greg

"In all of this though one thing that'd really get screwed with & lost is the colour: which Hasselblad HNCS really does excel at - Comparing with Light Room, Phocus does a far better job with achieving  more perceptually pleasing colour."

EXACTLY!

In fact, my response (which I should have posted) to Alex's initial post was, "WHY"

Alex

If coming from a background of using C1 for processing file from their SonyCanNikon files, they might not want to change when they get their X1D or whatever - they're used to using one kind of processor and are happy with it.

Myself I sometimes use other processors because I'm not always happy with the results from Phocus's lens corrections.

anestesik

Arri Alexa 65 is one of the best cinema cameras on digital market. Right now is the largest sensor in digital cinema.

Them choose Hasselblad lens correction knowledge, and HC lenses of course, for their Arri 65 system. Because it is the most advanced for a medium format digital system.

Phocus is correcting your images for any shooting distance, aperture, accessories attached to lenses, everything automatically!!

and you are not satisfied and trying to correct them on Capture One?????

sorry but it has no sense...