XID Multiple Focus Points

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Can anyone here confirm whether or not the XID now has multiple focus points or not? And if so, does it include touch focusing on the LCD screen? Hasselblad's website makes no mention of this yet.

tkhalloran

I am new to my X1D but have tried what you asked. It depends what you mean by multiple focus points.  The X1D has the ability to select a focus point or box  any where on the screen in predetermined rows and columns.  I haven't been able to touch the screen to make it auto focus though.  I have to push the AF_D button or half press the shutter to make it auto focus.

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks for your response. How do you select from the various focus points?

tkhalloran

To select the various focus points press and hold the MF/AF button on top of the camera.  All of the focus points possible will be displayed.  They will be displayed on the rear screen and you can tap the screen to select one then depress the MF/AF button again and it will be done.  You can also do all through the EVF and use the thumb wheels to move to different AF points if you put your eye to the EVF. .

Michael H. Cothran

Thank you again. I finally got through to the new Regional Sales Rep for Tennessee. We had a conversation about it. He also states 35 points, which is certainly better than only one, but not nearly as good as that of the newly announced Fuji GFX-50S camera. I've owned Hasselblad cameras now for 45 years, and would sure like to continue with the brand through the rest of my photographic career. But the Fuji GFX-50S is certainly a potential alternate choice. The GFS has a dedicated joy stick on the back for moving the focus point, plus you can simply touch the rear screen anywhere to focus, plus it has face & eye recognition, plus it also has focus peaking in manual focus mode. As my eyes continue to age, I must rely more and more on focus assistance with my camera.

Greg

It sounds to me that you have already made up your mind.  So what's your question?  Coming from a position of losing money for ten years in a row and still being able to bring such a camera to market is nothing less than a miracle.  I too, have used Hasselblad cameras for that length of time.  Even with the "obvious" advantages you mention, I do not like the form or the track record of Fuji to offer an easy to use and understandable GUI.  The X1D will mature and grow with future firmware and may well offer focus peaking in the very near future.  However, focus peaking has never worked for me.  Granted, a joystick would have been helpful, but one of the main goals for Hasselblad was to bring a compact ergonomic design, and they did accomplish that.  Hasselblad included as many options as they could and still accomplish their main goal.  Good luck with your decision.

Michael H. Cothran

To be direct, I have NOT yet made a decision. And to your second inquiry, I posted my question in the opening post, and it WAS answered.

Greg

In as much as I cannot know the functioning of your mind, I only relied upon what you wrote in your post.  I was simply asking what was the question in your most recent post, since I didn't see one.  Maybe I was being too "direct", and it certainly was not my intention to upset you.  You bring up some important features that are important to you, and you have every right to do so.  I was only giving you my thought process in how I might make a decision on each system.  Since I did not see a question, I thought that was what you were seeking.

If I am going to make a controversial statement, I will normally do it via private message, but I did not think my response was in that vein.

NickT

One thing I do like about this forum is how polite we all are :) Keep up the good work!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano