X1D Autofocus

Previous topic - Next topic

tkhalloran

I received my X1D about 2 weeks ago and finally felt confident enough to use it on a photo shoot of an artist that I had previously scheduled.  I thought that I had tried the AF enough to use it in this situation.   This was an available light situation and should be straight forward.  The problem I had was auto focusing by depressing the shutter part way,  then refraining and press the shutter all the way.  This worked with mixed results.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it tried to refocus and sometimes wouldn't make the exposure at all.   I tried the AF_D button by pressing and holding it to focus until the focus screen was green,  then reframing and then pressing the shutter.  This worked sometimes like the previous method.  Every camera I previously used could do this focus,  refrain,  take the picture.  Without this feature reliably working I can't use the camera for my environmental portraits.  Many of my subjects are painting or sculpting,  etc.  and move during the picture taking.
Any help would be welcome
Thanks

tkhalloran

Sorry,  all refrains should be reframed.
Thanks

Buddy

if you want using AFD button then put the camera on MF. This way press AFD on the face/eye of your subject, release AFD, reframe and press shutter button, AF is locked when releasing AFD. (AFD = Auto Focus Drive, similar on the H5/H6)

tkhalloran

Thank you very much. This seems to solve my problem.