H6d-100c storage card issues

Previous topic - Next topic

danord

Hello!
I have previously mentioned the need for a firmware update on the H6d to assure that images can be written to both memory-cards so that a backup always is saved.
Today I discovered something that, at first, alarmed me. After a lengthy outdoor-session, I put my SD-card into the memory-card reader. To my surprise, only about half of the files were to be found on the card! :-X
The "missing" images have obviously been written somewhere, as the file-numbers were also skipped. To my relief I found them when I put my SDmemory-card back in the camera and browsed the files there. However, upon returning the card to my Mac (a different mac this time, with another card-reader) they were again not to be found on the SD card. The files missing were totally random with no apparent system, althoug mostly from the last part of my session. I now found them in camera without the SD-card in and pretty soon figured (Sherlock...!) that the missing files had been written to the CFast card. So, up with my newly purchased CFAST cardreader and all files are now imported and saved.

This is not a huge issue for me, I just need to bring two card-readers when on travel etc, but thats not a big issue. However, I think Hasselblad should do what they can to speed up firmware updates so that we can use both cards simultaneously for backup.

Just wanted to let you know in case any of you experienced similar issues. Check the other memory card!  :D

I have set SD as my primary memory card, but I'm now contemplating swithcing to CFast as my primary. I used a sandisk ext pro 32gb SD and a lexar pro64gb CFast.

danord

NickT

Thanks for sharing. I assume both cards were formatted in camera?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

danord

Quote from: NickT on January 30, 2017, 05:29:49 PM
Thanks for sharing. I assume both cards were formatted in camera?

Yes, both Cards formattet in camera the morning before the session and this issue. I'll try changing to CFast as primary card and see if writing then will be consistent. When I have looked closer on the files, it seems as most of the files written to the CFast-card was files that were bracketed and shot in fairly "fast" sequence With only 1-2 sec between exposures, but this is not 100%, i.e some "single files" were also written to the CFast.

danord

NickT

Hi Dan
I'm thinking that the SD card just couldn't keep up and that the camera choose to write to the card that was available (the CFAST card). Make sense?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

danord

Quote from: NickT on January 31, 2017, 08:00:31 AM
Hi Dan
I'm thinking that the SD card just couldn't keep up and that the camera choose to write to the card that was available (the CFAST card). Make sense?

Yes, that was my first thought too, but it seems many "single files", not part of a bracketing and taken minutes apart, also was written to the CFast only. I will try to change to CFast as primary card and see if I have any issues in the next few days. As I said, it's not a big problem, but may be important to be aware of for users. Cheers!

danord

mkerouac

I have only used the Cast as a primary and no issues saving files.   I was informed by HBI today that the Lexar SD cads can have issues with the X1D and the H6D.  The UHSII cards with the two rows of pins on the back are not compatible with the X1D and 128gb cards seem to have issues with the H6D.