One month with the X1D-50C

Previous topic - Next topic

ceoofhell

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to the Hasselblad World. I used to work with Canon and Leica but own a X1D-50C (with XCD 90mm) since one month now. I sold my 5DSR a few days after shooting with the X1D because it is such a beautiful Camera and the Image Quality is (in my opinion) way better than the Canon.

I took about 500 pictures in different situations with the X1D and I know, I have a kind of a pre-production version (Firmware is v1.12.0-4554) thanks to my dealer.

Besides the breath taking image quality and the new benchmark for usability, I struggle with some technical problems, maybe typical for a pre-production firmware. I wonder if some of you, who also have an early version of this camera, have the same problems or even workarounds.

The camera seems to have problems with SDXC II Cards (Lexar 64GB). It hangs frequently when trying to save a taken photo and forces me to unload and reload the battery. Many photos were not saved, even when I thought there were. Some photos have magenta artefacts.

I also had a problem with a Lexar SDHC II 32 GB Memory Card: it won´t fit in Slot 1, but slided seamlessly into Slot 2.
For the next shootings I`ll stay with the 16GB SanDisk Card delivered with the Camera and see if this reduces the shut down messages.

Talking about battery: battery drain is impressive. After 3 hours or about 300 photos it´s empty. It seems battery power is converted into heat. The camera becomes quite warm but never really hot.
The battery-charger makes a strange sound, like there is a fan inside or so.
The battery itself got scratches on the top side. Not a big problem, though.

I used the camera in a studio shooting but much more outside on sandy, stormy beaches with heavy rain and around 4 Degrees Celsius. Doesn´t really bother the camera or the lens.

Does someone have a new firmware or know, where I can get one? I love the camera but would like to get rid of of the problems.

And if someone from Hasselblad reads this: You did a great job! Really Outstanding! If you look for further improvements (besides the obvious problems) may I make some suggestions?

Make the camera faster. Just a little bit.
Make the EVF more reliable (doesn´t turn on every time I come close with my eye)
Add the option to show a histogram in the EVF
Let me save photos to Card 1 AND Card 2 at the same time
Moving the autofocus point would be nice too.

Best wishes,
Michael

P.S.: I am happy that I finally made my way to Hasselblad. I like the Leica for casual photography and love the X1D for serious stuff. Have to get used to Phocus and re-design my workflow, but it seems doable.

Buddy

you are a lucky man having this already since 1 month while we are waiting since 4 months!

ceoofhell

Yes, I know.  ;)

I hope all the little glitches are gone, when you´ll receive your cameras. Lost photos are always painful, no matter how cool the camera is. And when you all get your camera, I will hopefully get my firmware update too. I just hoped, that someone has already a newer firmware at hand...

acg

Can you post a link to photos you have taken with the X1D?

Best Regards,

ACG
aaron c greenman
aaroncgreenman@acuitycolorgrain.com
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

ceoofhell

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vmdv4xyd4a8fvza/AAAsFtbT9G67mZ2Ecg1JPwnIa?dl=0

The only purpose of the photos is to get used to the X1D camera/lens and Phocus. So please don´t look for any artistic skills.

Monty Rakusen

acg

Any chance to make some full size JPEGs or RAW files available for download?

Thank you,

ACG
aaron c greenman
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

Mats E

For sure, it is a pre-production demo camera that your dealer sold to you. A sale that probably never should have taken place. In any case enjoy your toy as it for sure is a fantastic camera with equal image quality to the H6D-50c after having tested it for two extended week-ends but still waiting since six month for my own to be delivered....
I know there is an updated firmware but not yet readily available for general download only done in the factory. Will probably not be released until the cameras will be made more available through the dealers world wide.
Cheers,
Mats
Mats

ceoofhell

I added 3 RAW files to the dropbox directory linked above.

acg

Thank you, much appreciated.

Best Regards,

ACG
aaron c greenman
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

ptortora

Thanks for sharing your observations.  Link for images isn't working though.... can you correct it please?

ceoofhell

I removed the link on request of my Dealer "because the RAW files were made with a pre-production model". They were called from Hasselblad and after that asked/urged me to sent back my X1D for exchange with a "final production model". I sent back my camera and received three weeks later a final version (with new Firmware). Very weird first experience with Hasselblad and their Dealer. Especially since I sent the Dealer an email after receiving the Camera and asked whether my "Demo-Unit" is somehow different from the final Version. And they assured me, that the only difference is the Firmware. Maybe.

Anyway, I have a final, better, great X1D since 2 weeks and love it. I believe the X1D started shipping therefore they might be some other RAW files around in the Internet.

Michael