shooting tethered phocus freezes

Previous topic - Next topic

aikbo

When shooting tethered with H5D50 (firewire 800) and all versions of phocus on a mac book pro with thunderbold all is fine untill I start speeding up the number of shots. than after 10 shots or so the camera says "busy"it helps to wait  but the busy issue than reappairs earlier in the next series. Looking  at a videa of peter coulson with a H6D freezing does not appear to be an isseu.

What can I do to avoid freezing of phocus apart from keeping my shotfrequency low?

Regards

NickT

How much free space is on the hard drive? As hard drives fill they get slower to write so that may be the issue.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

aikbo

Thank you Nick, it looks like I only have 20 mb left.So i will have a look into this and maybe solve the issue. Thnx

aikbo

sorry, mistake, I have 150Gb free space on a 500 Gb disc.

NickT

That ought to be enough space, how much RAM do you have?

aikbo

aikbo

somewhere else I read "Tethering is noticeably faster with the H6 with 3.0.3" I hope this is also true for the H5D 50 However I am not able to check it right now. Anyone experience with Phocus 3.0.3 and H5D50?

Buddy

i just tethered many captures with 3.0.2 using H5D-50c to a MBP (16 GB RAM, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) via Firewire 800 and no problems at all. hundreds of captures over a full working day. Focus view and focusing, mirror up and shutter release from the mac book works just fine.

aikbo

Could it be the 8 gb RAM is not enough? Recommandations for focus are 8Gb.

DJPixelMan

NickT

I think you are probably operating at minimum spec with 8 gig and shooting faster than your system can handle. I think the cheapest option to speed things up would be to add RAM if possible and switch to an SSD drive.

Mike Farrelly

Import not available in 3.0.3 for PC (although tethers OK)

Phocus 3.0.3 on PC / H4D 31Mp via Firewire
"Import Images" is greyed out. Reverted to 2.9.2 (just coz' it was handy) to achieve import.

Mike

Mike Farrelly

3.0.4 now released fixed this PC H4D import issue.
Many thanks Hass!

Mike

Keith Davies

Just stumbled upon this thread. I get the same problem of Phocus crashing when a I shoot quickly on my H4D-50 (red question mark over image... crash), but only when I'm shooting from Firewire 800 to a Thunderbolt port via the Apple adaptor. Shooting to an older MacPro with Firewire 800 to Firewire 800 is fine. As it is on my MacBook Pro with Firewire 800. The only issue I have is when tethering to an iMac with a Thunderbolt port using the adaptor. This is is obviously causing some sort of data bottleneck.
RAM doesn't seem to be the issue for me as the iMac and MacPro have 32GB and the MacBook Pro has 16GB - and the MacBook works fine.
So, I'm going to try using a powered Firewire hub to see if that helps. Failing that, I'll try a Thunderbolt dock and see where that gets me.
I'll report back.

aikbo

Keith I am surely interested if this solves the problem. Regards Aik