"Layers PSD" export in Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanbruehl

Hi everyone,

I am quite new with the use of Phocus (on Windows XP system!!),  today I tested the export option "Layers PSD", but when I tried to open the psd file in Photoshop CS3, I got the error message "this is not a valid document".
Do I need CS4 to open the file or is it a bug ?? In the Phocus help nothing special is written concerning the psd export.

Stephan.

150kilos

I'm not sure what that error was.  But when you do manage to import the image you will notice that it is only 8bit mode.  I don't see an option to make phocus do a 16bit psd version... does anyone else?

rsmphoto

Just a thought,  I've done this myself.

The Export of a layers psd from Phocus takes a long, long time. Did you happen to start to open it before it was completely exported. I've gotten that same message when I've done that. That's why I ask.

Richard

stephanbruehl

Quote from: Richard Mandelkorn on March 27, 2009, 10:08:15 AM
Just a thought,  I've done this myself.

The Export of a layers psd from Phocus takes a long, long time. Did you happen to start to open it before it was completely exported. I've gotten that same message when I've done that. That's why I ask.

Richard

Well, I tried it another time, waited quite a time and checked the task manager meanwhile. When the CPU was in idle status, I closed Phocus without any notice that there was still a process running, opened the file in PS and again got the error message.

Stephan.

Eivind Røhne

Quote from: 150kilos on March 27, 2009, 09:48:26 AM
I don't see an option to make phocus do a 16bit psd version... does anyone else?

Exporting PSD layered files works just fine, and opens up in PS CS3 with no problems. Big difference from a normal file that takes around 10 seconds to export, to the 1 minute 55 on a layered psd file (with the moire filter on). This is the PC version of Phocus 1.02 running on an "old" Dell Precision T3400 Quad Core with XP SP3 and 3 GB RAM.  Don't seem to be a 16 bit psd's option though, and that's a shame...
Cheers,
Eivind Rohne

Web: www.beyondtheice.no

stephanbruehl

Quote from: Eivind Røhne on March 28, 2009, 12:11:19 AM

Exporting PSD layered files works just fine, and opens up in PS CS3 with no problems. Big difference from a normal file that takes around 10 seconds to export, to the 1 minute 55 on a layered psd file (with the moire filter on). This is the PC version of Phocus 1.02 running on an "old" Dell Precision T3400 Quad Core with XP SP3 and 3 GB RAM.  Don't seem to be a 16 bit psd's option though, and that's a shame...

I joined a Phocus workshop yesterday and the Hasselblad people assured me that indeed the export to PSD files does not work for the PC version so far.  I am therefore astonished about your message.

Stephan.

robertpoll

I think I might have an explanation. It works fine if you have Moire reduction on for the image (i.e. the Moire slider isn't at zero) but if you export an image with moire set to zero you get a pop-up saying that the photoshop document is not valid as you describe.

I'll send in a bug report to Hasselblad, along with a request for 16 bit.

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

robertpoll

Just a quick update: on the mac version you get an error if you export as psd with moire turned off. I think it would be useful to be able to export a single image so have put in a request for that. Also 16 bit psd seems to be in the pipeline.

Lastly, in case it's useful to anyone, you can select more than one image in the thumbs window and export as psd to get different images as different layers. hadn't realized that was possible..

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

stephanbruehl

Thanks for the explanation. You know more than the Hasselblad people in Germany !!  It works indeed, if I switch on the Moiré filter before exporting to PSD.

However, very strange:   I use a 39-back, so the 8-bit tif files have a size of about 111 MB. If I export with Phocus to PSD, then I get a file size of 372 MB for the two layers !!!  If I open the file, then PS tells me that the document has a size of 223 MB, which is reasonable for two layers: 2 x 111 = 222. If I now save the file back to disk with Photoshop, the file size indeed reduces to 214 MB. So I wonder, where the extra 150 MB come from in the original PSD file of Phocus.

Stephan.

150kilos

Quote from: stephanbruehl on April 02, 2009, 04:57:54 AM
Thanks for the explanation. You know more than the Hasselblad people in Germany !!  It works indeed, if I switch on the Moiré filter before exporting to PSD.

However, very strange:   I use a 39-back, so the 8-bit tif files have a size of about 111 MB. If I export with Phocus to PSD, then I get a file size of 372 MB for the two layers !!!  If I open the file, then PS tells me that the document has a size of 223 MB, which is reasonable for two layers: 2 x 111 = 222. If I now save the file back to disk with Photoshop, the file size indeed reduces to 214 MB. So I wonder, where the extra 150 MB come from in the original PSD file of Phocus.

Stephan.

I recall flexcolor had similar issues.  Exporting a PSD layered file with correction curves turned on and a second version with correction curves turned off created a file that was more than twice the size of two single files layered in PS manually.

Eivind Røhne

Quote from: robertpoll on April 02, 2009, 02:35:17 AM
I think I might have an explanation. It works fine if you have Moire reduction on for the image (i.e. the Moire slider isn't at zero) but if you export an image with moire set to zero you get a pop-up saying that the photoshop document is not valid as you describe.

You're spot on Rob! I hadn't tried exporting as a single layer PSD with moire filter turned off when I wrote my reply to Stephan. Tried it now, and a single layer psd is not a valid PS document. Moire filter and multiple layer psd'd works fine though.
Cheers,
Eivind Rohne

Web: www.beyondtheice.no