Is the H5X an H4X with a black paint job? Is True Focus worthwhile?

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerxnz

The H4X has True Focus and the H5X has True Focus II, which I assume is an improvement over the first version. Does that mean the first version did not work?

Not that I can afford a 5X but is the 4X worth having?

Surely, H2 users were able to focus reliably almost all of the time? Is there not a button on the H2 to hold the focus while you recompose?

I want an H body to use with an IQ180. I think I could use an H2 but am worried that I will not be able to focus reliably and thus need to know if the 4X offers enough certainty of sharp focus to make buying one worthwhile.

A used 4X is about double the price of a used H2. £3,000 compared to £1,400. Is the extra cost worthwhile?
Roger

jerome_m

Quote from: rogerxnz on June 23, 2015, 12:07:09 AM
The H4X has True Focus and the H5X has True Focus II, which I assume is an improvement over the first version. Does that mean the first version did not work?

True Focus I works very well on my H4D-50. Generally speaking, users of the H4D cameras all praise the accuracy of the focus function.

QuoteIs there not a button on the H2 to hold the focus while you recompose?

Yes, you can do that. You may need to assign a button to that function, though.

QuoteI want an H body to use with an IQ180. I think I could use an H2 but am worried that I will not be able to focus reliably and thus need to know if the 4X offers enough certainty of sharp focus to make buying one worthwhile.

The 4x should do it.

QuoteA used 4X is about double the price of a used H2. £3,000 compared to £1,400. Is the extra cost worthwhile?

With the H2D, you get a camera which is 10 years old (the H2D was introduced in 2005). As to the focus, I am not so sure about the H2D, but I used an H3D (first version) and it was very accurate, but sometimes more hesitant than the H4D. It had just been recalibrated by Hasselblad, though. I have also used an H3DII, which had not been recently calibrated and it was less consistent than the older camera.