Stacking software

Previous topic - Next topic

guvnah

I curious if anyone is using a stacking software that they could recommend?

NickT

Helicon focus has always been the gold standard for me. These days I mostly use Photoshops built in stacking, I auto align the layers first then auto blend.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

Helicon as well for me. I  use it together with a macro rail made by cognisys.

Alex

I get some great results with Helicon, and its retouch tool helps on fixing high difference depth of focus errors. If stacking with a macro it's worth initially defining ones exposure with the focus set at the furthest distance point before then initiating the stack from the near point so as to not end up with an overexposure as the lens barrel retracts in the process. For my purposes (depth 50cm-120cm@f11 - 120mm ~ 40 images) I got better results without using a focus rail and instead just slowly working though the focus ring. It doesn't like sporadically changes in depth of focus. Some users have programmed alternative versions as a result of found limitations with the software, but for me it is adequate and well worth the buy.

Alex

guvnah

Thanks guys.  I'll look into Helicon.   

Nick,  I've been using photoshop too, but haven't been that happy with the auto blend feature in CS6.  I end up manually masking each layer together. 

NickT

Hi Michael
Photoshop stacking is pretty random, sometimes works perfectly, sometimes not at all!

NickT

Apparently this is very good:

http://zerenesystems.com

Haven't tried it myself.

guvnah

Thanks again, Nick T.  I'll check it out.

guvnah

Is there a automated software option within phocus to take a series of exposures & move focus between each on an H4d?  Maybe something like a focus bracketing? 

jerome_m

Quote from: guvnah (michael haskins) on May 19, 2015, 02:27:19 PM
Is there a automated software option within phocus to take a series of exposures & move focus between each on an H4d?  Maybe something like a focus bracketing? 

There is no automated option. All you can do is to use an external program to click a number of time on the phocus focus button, then on the take picture button, etc... Under OS X, automator could do that.

guvnah

I'm unfamiliar with Automator.  Would it be unreasonable if I asked for help setting up that action/script?  I would appreciate it - I have an upcoming project that this would really make easier. 

jerome_m

Well, I don't have much time to explain now. Basically, with Phocus opened, you start automator, choose workflow, then record. You switch to Phocus, click the buttons you need (e.g. "focus +" a few times, then "take picture") (you'll need to do that with a camera connected). Then you'll click the automator button to stop recording.

In automator, you'll get an action which says "switch to Phocus", "press + button" a few times, then "press take picture button". You can edit that to duplicate parts of that action, etc, so that you would have an action to take 10 pictures with clicking the focus button in between. You may want to add a "pause" action between takes, look for standard actions in the left hand part of the automator window. If you don't tell automator to pause, it will click too fast for your camera to follow.

When things are as you want, you just run the automator action and the program will take control of your computer, move the mouse pointer around and click as you would normally do. It is pretty straightforward.

Automator should be already installed on every mac, it comes standard with os x.

guvnah