Actuations - what is TOO old?

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaesemann

Greetings all,
I have been searching for a H3DII-22. Is there a number of actuations at which one should simply not consider a body, lens or digital back? Assume the items are in good working order and the use is for fine art photography, not time-sensative commercial work. Private discussions have produced a variety of opinions. Curious what you all think.
Best,
Tim G

hvk

I think all we can provide is anecdotes. My own experience is a H2F/CFH-22 that I recently sold at ~140k exposures. I bought it with 80k exposures and it worked without problems except for a sensor recalibration (known issue when I purchased the camera). I also used to own a HC 50-110 that had no issues at ~80k exposures.

In my experience a high number of actuations is not a problem. Problems are usually due to environmental conditions, accidents or to electronic meltdowns that can happen at any number of actuations.

/Henrik

meshuggener

+1 HVK
some Hasselblad users had their lens down at 2k actuations but I think it's quite rare. My equipement has about 40K actuations for the body and 3k to 55k for the lenses and all is fine. You have to change batteries sometimes.
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

jerome_m

Quote from: hvk on January 14, 2015, 09:44:53 PMI think all we can provide is anecdotes.

Well... there is this document from Hasselblad, which says lens shutter units are specified at 100K exposures: http://www.hasselblad.de/media/1664043/shutterathighspeed.pdf

For the body shutter, I seem to recall a spec of 50K, but I am not sure. This being said, replacing a body or lens shutter is not a big issue and costs are published here: http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/service/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices.aspx. Basically, shutters are considered expendable and people using these cameras professionally are replacing them regularly.

The counters are reset by Hasselblad when a shutter is exchanged, BTW. As a consequence, there is no way to know how many actuations a camera really has. A camera with 300 actuations may actually have had its shutter replaced a few times...