Wi-Fi enabled H5D-50c camera

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Claesson

The new model – a feature-rich upgrade to the H5D-50c CMOS unit launched earlier this year – provides photographers with more freedom than ever before, thanks to an innovative Wi-Fi module.

The H5D-50c with Wi-Fi makes it possible for users to fully control the camera and browse/view images on iPhone/iPad on location via Phocus Mobile software, without the need for a computer. It also features a 'Live View' function, allowing photographers to see and zoom in on a live image on the rear LCD even when the camera is untethered.

The new model will be available first in Europe at the end of November and will retail at $28,500 excl. tax.

Michele Channer, Hasselblad International Sales Director said: "When we launched the new H5D-50c CMOS camera earlier this year we promised photographers ultimate image quality,
regardless of lighting conditions. Now we have developed a unique Wi-Fi upgrade for this camera enabling photographers to work unplugged but still very much connected."

She added: "Now users can enjoy total freedom – direct camera control and image browsing, without a computer in sight. Our innovative 'Live View' functionality is another first for us. Previously photographers could not directly see at the back what they could see through the lens.
And of course this new model boasts all the functionality of its sibling, including a 50Mpixel CMOS sensor and excellent high ISO performance at up to ISO 6400."

New features on the H5D-50c with Wi-Fi include:

- Wi-Fi: Control the camera and browse/ view images on iPhone or iPad, even on location.

- Live View: See a live image on the rear LCD even when the camera is untethered.

- Capture rate: The capture rate now enables 50 captures per minute.

- Longest exposure time: The longest shutter speed is now 34 minutes. And no extra black exposure is necessary.

- Film: Now you can use film magazines on the H5D-50c.

- Spirit level: Employ the built-in electronic spirit level even in tethered mode.

- Display modes: Select different display modes even when the camera is tethered.

- ISO and White Balance: Settings now available on viewfinder display.

Between January and March 2015 Hasselblad is offering photographers the opportunity to upgrade their H5D-50c model for the new Wi-Fi version for $1,000.
All new features (except Wi-Fi) will be available to H5D-50c and CFV-50c owners as a firmware upgrade shortly after the photokina trade show event.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news1/2014-09-16_h5d-50c_wi-fi.aspx
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

cerett

Paul - Thank you very much for this exciting information.

arminw

i wonder if one would be able to use the ipad for example to see a live view of the image , tap to focus and then control the shutter all via wifi? Now that would be sometime to make me upgrade ...
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

cerett

Paul - A question has been raised elsewhere as to whether the resolution of the current digital back on the H5D-50c can effectively support live view at a 100%. Your thoughts?

Paul Claesson

Quote from: arminw on September 17, 2014, 10:00:38 AM
i wonder if one would be able to use the ipad for example to see a live view of the image , tap to focus and then control the shutter all via wifi? Now that would be sometime to make me upgrade ...

Live view from the iPad is not available.

Built-in Wi-Fi
This allows for complete camera control from iPhone or iPad even when the camera is not connected to a computer. Using the iOS app
Phocus Mobile, you can see previews, browse images and remote control the camera from your iPhone or iPad.

H5D50c Datasheet
http://www.hasselblad.com/media/4846619/h5d-50c_wi-fi_datasheet_en_v2.pdf
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA

Paul Claesson

Quote from: cerett on September 18, 2014, 01:50:58 AM
Paul - A question has been raised elsewhere as to whether the resolution of the current digital back on the H5D-50c can effectively support live view at a 100%. Your thoughts?

Yes, the current screen resolution can effectively support Live View. I am not certain if the Live View can be used at 100%. I ask that you please bear with me,  some questions i may not be able to answer immediately because most of our key people are working at the Hasselblad booth at Photokina.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA

cerett

Thanks Paul, I fully understand. I very much look forward to the firmware upgrade!

eyedear

any chance this features will come to H4D owners

- Film: Now you can use film magazines

Paul Claesson

Quote from: cerett on September 18, 2014, 01:50:58 AM

Yes, we will support live view at 100% image.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA

Paul Claesson

Quote from: eyedear on October 13, 2014, 04:21:25 AM
any chance this features will come to H4D owners

- Film: Now you can use film magazines

Quote- Film: Now you can use film magazines
No,  this will not be backwards compatible with H4D.

Quote- ISO and White Balance: Settings now available on viewfinder display.
Good question, i will check into this.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA

eyedear

pooh its so sad to hear that the H4D cannot use film back. I personally think that hasselblad is unique in that its has ability to use the advance digital backs and also the thrusted films of yesteryear. it would have been super to be able to use film.

i do hope the the adjustment will now be available without having to take your eye o the viewfinder

thanks again Paul for the update

cerett

Paul - At this point, any idea when the firmware update will be available? Thanks

cerett

The silence is deafening. This firmware update was supposed to be released right after Photokina. I wonder what kind of problems they are having?