H5-40 upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl_ Keeley

Hi all,

I have one of those annoying which camera decisions to make. Apologies for my indecisiveness in advance...

The story so far...So I have an H3D-22 currently.
My options are to trade in and up to a H5-40.
Or find an H2 and pair i.e. with a Phase IQ140.
Either way I'm preferring the H camera platform to the Phase offering.

I shoot all Beauty and Fashion. My major concern is skin, hair and colour.
The Phase strikes me from their samples as a little harsh on skin but just fine for fashion if a touch dramatic in it's rendering
The H5 from what I can see renders skin beautifully and is a different look than Phase on fashion - perhaps a touch after in the feel (not sharpness).

Post production is a big concern - Phocus produces unbelievable colour no doubt. But CO is the more complete software option. Either way I'm in PS for long retouching sessions for my type of work.

So my question who if any have tried these two options and can compare files for me?

Monty Rakusen

Why the 40?
The 50 is a larger size chip and the files are beautiful.
My post runs like this: Phocus>16bit tiff>PS retouch 16bitt tiff> Lightroom5 retouch (clarity and brush work)> PS sharper and 8bit etc.
My work is very different to studio fashion, I know this is a bit complex but it works well.
Monty
PS don't you just hate it when someone comes along and suggests some thing else!

Giorgio

Hey Carl,

Your probably going to notice a big difference in the H5D from the H3D via True Focus. The camera is very fast to acquire focus and the focus and compose really works even at open apertures.

I used the H4D 40 for 2 years and it has one very significant advantage over its larger chip brothers. ISO 100, 200, 400 look great and 800 is usable but noisy.

I have not used the phase offerings but I have friends who do and the files look great, I just don't like the cameras as I shoot people and the Hasselblad (IMO) has the advantage there.

Carl_ Keeley

Thank you both for your replies.

Monty, I originally discussed with the H rep the 50. He advised strongly the 40 for my type of work. His argument was it's a faster camera overall including ISO.  I'm not keen on the crop factor but I guess it's a trade off.
Your workflow is a bit different to mine. I caoture teethered to Phocus - adjust all variables in Phocus - leave there with a slightly flat 16 bit but stunning colour info - PS where all retouching is done - export from PS. What is the advantage in going to LR? I'm keen to learn.

Giorgio, True focus will help me a lot. Agree on the speed factor as above. Also agree on the handling. My observation is the Phase offerings are spectacular but possible a little clinical feeling  on skin. That is, I'd go there if I was still life, commercial, architecture etc etc. the Phase rep showed me a super crop of a females face and I could see was every blemish imaginable. Thinking a retouching nightmare as the look wasn't kind to her at all - and that's my work.

One other variable here if I may.
The H rep is very hard to get a hold of but when I did he came to my studio. He' s still a bit laloof. Do they want to sell cameras?
The Phase guy is very keen and a bit sales focused for my taste. I had to drive across town to him and he was 30 mins late to our meeting. He has been good since though as I hire a few things from him.
Just an observation but interesting to compare cultures

Monty Rakusen

In many ways the 40 would be better for me with the higher asa but if you are shooting in the studio at 50 and 100 then I'd go for the 50.

I too shoot tethered into Phocus. The quality in Phocus is exceptional. I use LR to make vignette paint in clarity or anything, I use it like an extended tool box to PS. I use PS to retouch, skin buildings whatever, remove logos make layers and so forth.

Good luck making your choice
Monty

Giorgio

Hi Carl,

Another consideration is actual shooting speed, because sometimes you have to shoot continuous frames to get that elusive perfect frame.

The H5D 40 camera is a more robust platform than the preceding H4D 40 and from my experience with a fast (1000x) CF card I could shoot continuous frames for quite a long burst and the camera would just work.

As to the Reps and sales people the Hasselblad people seem to be in a re organizational phase, but I would want to be dealing with a value added retailer anyway. A retailer will have a much stronger relationship with the Hasselblad people and be able to pull strings for you if/when the need arises.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Not sure where you are posting from but if you want info about the US retailers just let me know?

Carl_ Keeley

Thanks again guys, you are making a lot of sense.

Monty, great points. I am mostly in the studio. But more and more out on locations. The higher iso is beneficial as I hardly ever use iso 50 for some reason I can't explain on the H3D22.
I never thought of looping into LR and out again. I'll try that. I have looped out to Capture One before though just to experiment.

Giorgio, I'm in Melbourne Australia. Yes the robuscity and speed were the points the rep made. I'm not a fast shooter by any means but even at my rate the H3D's buffer is blocking up regularly on shoots. the back blinks red and basically stops but the shutter continues to release. It's become a standing joke with my team that the cameras a reincarnated union official that protests at working too hard. A reboot of camera and laptop is the only cure. Hence the upgrade decision.

I'm feeling the H5 40 is likely the winner in this debate

Carl_ Keeley

Update - H5D 40 is ordered along with a 100mm lenses!
I got a great trade in deal from my rep here in Melbourne.

Just in time for Santa  ;D