Suggestion to focus easy with Hassy?

Previous topic - Next topic

Photòr

Hi everybody,

is my first topic on HDForum. I have an H3DII-50 from many months. It is to me very difficult to focus both inside the studio that in full daily light, no matter if I plan an f4 or a f22 shot. Many times the AF goes forward and backward many times making me loose the proper moment for the shoot. I tried to add a monopod to be sure to minimize my mouvements but the impruvement was minimal.
I went to the Hasselblad assistance here in Italy but they told me that the camera is almost Ok.

At the moment the best solution I found is the manual focussing. Of course the core of my activity (port and figure) can't be done in this way.

In the Canon world where I have learn to shot, there as lots of AF points. You can choose the point you prefer and just set the point agaist an area with contrast and you have your goal! It is possible that, in an 15.000 euros system, they cannot think to put at least one AF point to use?

The big central spot (large as a plate) don't help me mutch... There are some information or tricks that I have missing?

Many thanks for any suggestion.

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it

meshuggener

Hello Mateo,

I think your solution would be to switch to H4 with True Focus. It helps very much, even more in portrait photography.
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Monty Rakusen

Yes the H4 would be better for you.

Still, the H3 should focus fine.

Have you tested it? Put a ruler at 45 degrees or more. Put your camera on a tripod, lens fully open and use your autofocus to focus on a specific distance. Then you can tell by looking at the shot if it really did focus on that point.

I also shoot with the Nikon D800E and the H4D50 true focus is FAR better. I shoot thousands of frames a year and I can honestly say that a single point true focus is much better than 51 point with the Nikon.

Monty

Photòr

Thanks Monty,

I knew the ruler axperiment that is often used to see if a lens have the correct focus point (or is closer or further).
I can use it to check the real AF point of my Hassy and try to learn how to find it easier.

About the true focus: I tested both the H4 and the H5 during some promotional event. Both was equipped with wide lenses (eg. HC 24 and HC 28). This kind of lenses have less problem in focusing due the natural longer DoF compared with the telephoto lens. So was very difficult for me to undestand the real performanche of the true focus. In this moment I prefer to wait than run to buy anhoter expensive camera (seems to be easy... but is not!)... I hope to find a way to use better the stuff I have. Probaly there is some learn to do.

Many thanks for this suggestion.

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it

NickT

Hi Mateo
try this:

Set the camera to manual focus. In custom settings set the "user" button to AF. When shooting put the centre brackets where you want focus (something with a bit of contrast), press the user button then recompose and shoot.

I think that's the best way to work.

Let us know if that helps.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Photòr

Hi Nick-T

this sound like a innovative approach... Will be in my tests of the week end!
Many thanks. I let you know the results

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it

SteveK

isn't there a continous mode for AF ( I never use it with the Hassi so I am not sure)? but this would cause this behaviour (I use it with my nikons sometimes). when switching to single shot it works perfekt with me. I use mainly H3D, H4D. You have to make sure that there is some contrast at the focus point. Try to find the eye or something with high contrast when further away.

rem

yes, the gassy have a continuos af mode.
rem

rem

Photòr

Unfortunately I am sure that:
- my Hassy is settled in the "one shot" mode  (not continuous)
- I am focusing in a rich contrast zone. I have also tried the continuous mode, bat in that way became deep more difficult...

No one that tried the H3D-II?

Many thanks anyway

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it

DBF

I have the same Camera and it had the same Problem  >:(-> it took a Trip to Sweden and was fine again :)

Photòr

Hi DBF,

I don't know if this is a good or bad news... The good side is that there is a solution... The bad side is the trip to sweden...
How far was the trip from your point and how mutch costed?
This week end I will do the tests suggested above but
I am afraid that this will be the real solution...
Many thanks

Matteo
Matteo
www.photor.it

DBF

Cost was complete 350€
Only the Camera had the Trip - I had to stay at home  >:(