sensor pattern in image

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanbruehl

Hi,

Recently I notice some strange effects in my images. It turns out that the arrangement of the sub sensors (2x2) on my H4D-60 show up at least in the sky area of the images as a visible change of brightness along a vertical line. The effect is not too clearly visible in the original color images but shows up more pronounced after conversion to b&w with a certain contrast enhancement. I attach the complete picture and a detail of the sky area.

I remember slightly that somebody reported a similar behavior some years ago, but I cannot find the thread nor remember who posted the information.

Has anybody had the same experience ??

Best, Stephan..

By the way:  the border line appears a litlte bit inclined due to a slight rotation in Photoshop (lens correction). In the original picture of course it runs perfectly vertical...

Dustbak

This is usually a readout error of the sensor. This happened a while especially with Leaf backs. phocus should be able to deal with it. If not you could send the raw file to HB so maybe they can improve next versions of Phocus to better deal with it.

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Make sure that the firmware in the back and body are the latest and also use the latest Phocus (2.7.4). You may notice an improvement.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

meshuggener

I had the same problem, twice. But with a couple of months between. The only thing that was common to those shots is that it was wet outside and high Iso or long exposure (on H3DII-39). I have the latest firmware but did not try with the latest Phocus version. Someone told that is a bug of sync between lens and body. Try to clean every gold contacts with alcohol solution (from Hasselblad Service France).
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

stephanbruehl

I checked older pictures and found out the following:

-  until summer 2011 I used a H3DII-39,  everything is okay there independently of the Phocus version or what so ever. No pattern visible.

-  in august 2011 I switched to H4D-60 and the pattern is visible in all pictures right from the beginning, and independent from the Phocus version. The camera was delivered with the newest firmware version at that time (R500). I may update to the actual R512, but I doubt that this will make disappear the effect.The reason I did not notice it so far is that I normally do not prefer high contrast development. But recently I switched over to Nik Silver Efex 2 for the b&w conversion and by just fiddling around with the different settings I came across a strong contrast conversion which showed the pattern effect very clearly. I then investigated the pictures in more detail and realized that the pattern is in fact visible already before the b&w conversion, however, in many cases so weak that it doesn't show up clearly and - good luck - does not destroy a good fine art print.

Meanwhile I have contact with Hasselblad and sent them two RAW files. Let's see what they say....

Best, Stephan

rem

Stephan, frag doch Rolf Nachb. ober er das gleiche Problem hat. Er hat ja auch eine 60er der gleichen Generation. Liebe Grüsse, Remo

Dustbak

I have a 60 too and no issues like this. It is understandable you had no issues with the 39. The 39 has a different type of sensor (kodak), the 60 has a Dalsa. The dual readout from the Dalsa has caused other MF manufacturers issues as well. Normally this can be resolved by the manufacturer of your back.