Global image locator

Previous topic - Next topic

HughGilbert

Has anyone tried one of these yet...

anyone else got any experience?

all best

Hugh

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Apparently, they only work in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment. I am waiting for the Southern to be acknowledged. If you use an L bracket, you will need to modify it to accommodate the GIL module. The modification involves shaving some of the bracket off, and the problem is that the alloy gets very hot and soft as you are grinding it. The trick seems to be to do it in a number if passes.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

JoSayer

Don't think that is the case Jeff!

I saw some sample shots with GPS tagging from Aussie!

Jo S.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Hmmm, sorry about that. None of the units that Kennedy's have work, and the advice from Peter G is that there is a firmware update on the way :-\. Anyway, the bit about the L bracket is good.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

HughGilbert

Well I've tried mine in the Northern Hemisphere only!

At first I didn't have any luck, but that was my fault.... I had not yet upgraded the camera body to 4.8.5.

Then it worked a little bit... Sitting this morning in the middle of a field in Sussex, and the GPS thingy couldn't see a single satellite.

However I did get one fix during the week between a couple of tall buildings!  But that is the only fix so far...

And the link with google earth is very seductive... bang, suddenly it locates the image on the map... Love it.

The news of a further firmware upgrade is good, it will probably make the thing work...

Back to Mowing

All best

Hugh

hugh@hughgilbert.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I have just been out with an H3D and GIL. It worked as advertised. I shot a lot of portrait shots with the GIL under the body but there must have been plenty of satellites as it maintained a fix. The link to Google Earth works. The only issue is that Phocus is  bit fussy about when the MAP tab is selectable.

The hack to the L bracket doesn't seem to have had any effect either, phew.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

woody campbell

Mine works fine.  I've used it in NY and New England so far.  It takes a bit of to acquire a fix in a new location, but once it has located satelites the gps is surprisingly robust - it doesn't seem bothered by trees and the like and is relatively tolerant of tall buildings.