Phocus on the Mac

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil G

I hit a problem with Phocus in November which I would like to share

After clunking along with Phocus.v1 on my G5Quad I upgraded to a Mac Pro (8core) and following best practice set up as a User as well as Administrator.
Then in user mode I downloaded loaded Phocus.v1.1 when I tried to install it asked for usual authorisation so admin details were given and it installed.

I then transfered the .fff files from my portable HDD to internal HDD and viewed in Phocus just to check my furtling on the MBP was ok before I imported into my Aperture library.

To my horror the images were washed out! I rechecked on MBP and they looked ok so tried my old G5 Quad and again ok

So suspected Graphics Card as Nvidia had failed in first week and had to be replaced so I imported a few .fff's into Aperture and they displayed ok.

After an exchange of emails to support and a little more furtling 

It appears that when you install Phocus it does not write the ColorSync profiles until it's first launched. 
If you are operating in User mode ( you should never operate in only Admin for security and survival reasons) when you first launch it does not go through a  authorisation loop and they never get installed.

This is now a known issue which hopefully will be resolved in later versions

If you have a problem check for the presence of Hasselblad RGB in your systemHD /Library/ColorSync/Profiles

you should see a listing 
Hasselblad 330Skel 30K75.icc
Hasselblad 350Skel 30K90.icc; and
Hasselblad RGB,icc

So until this issue is resolved you need to install and run Phocus first in Admin mode to have the ColorSync profiles installed then go to your normal user account and you should have no problems.

General points.

If you have not set up a user account and are operating in Admin mode I strongly suggest you change
go to system pref.../accounts and set yourself up with a standard account don't click allow user to administer this computer.

You may have to authorize things using your Admin info but its a 'peace of mind' survival technique that is worth doing according to my Apple Guru.

Also
Phocus v1.1 runs much faster on the G5 Quad not as fast as Aperture but usable.  

Latest download should have fixed this:

Phocus 1.1.2 read me

Changes since V 1.1.1

Fixes a crash issue that could occur during tethered capture with H3D-II 50 in portrait mode.

RGB readout is now functional in full screen mode.

Improved behavior when used by non-admin users/multiple users. ColorSync profiles will now be installed in the user domain if necessary and application permissions are setup to allow all users access.

A multi-monitor color handling issue that could happen when dragging the viewer between monitors has been fixed.

Improved stability when running in 32 bit mode on first generation Intel Mac's.

Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning