backup to second drive while tethered shoot

Previous topic - Next topic

Domip

I want to backup to a second drive, every tethered shot (also 4-shots) through Phocus, immediately at the moment the shot is being made.
As Phocus cann't export FFF's (I didn't find how to), I think it should be done with 'Sync'-software...

How does one do that on a MacBook Pro ?

Urgent

Thanks, Dominique

davidthescot

Hi

Go to File menu in Phocus and "tick" Export new images automatically

Set the export destination as your backup disc.  The files cannot be FFF or 3FR but could be DNG or TIFFs.

Better than nothing at all.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Why not attach two external drives and then set them up as RAID 1 via the Disk Utility?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Domip

Thanks David & Jeff

Exporting TIFFs is not an option because I want raw -files.
Do the DNG's have the flexibility of the FFF files , and can Phocus do all it's magic with those DNG's like it would on FFF's ?

As I understand this, is working in RAID 1 copying the whole drive one to the other... I would like to copy just the FFF-folder of my Scratchpad.

Thanks for your comments,
Dominique

PeterDorr

Thanks, good suggestion.
I had the same question.

I found that loading the DNG files back into Lightroom gave me excellent results making me believe that there is no difference between FFF and DNG
Don't hold me to that though :-)
Wikipedia is also not talking about changing anything to the raw data, just adding the metadata and a JPG preview file to it
hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: Domip on June 02, 2013, 08:18:05 PM

As I understand this, is working in RAID 1 copying the whole drive one to the other... I would like to copy just the FFF-folder of my Scratchpad.

It's the whole drive. You put the scratchpad folder on the external drive and the RAID setup writes to both disks.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

There is a huge difference between the .FFF and an exported .DNG. You will loose DAC, so no geometric lens correction and no CA control. Furthermore you can no longer benefit from the excellent Phocus color  rendition.

I hope eventually there will be a backup possibility made into Phocus. The way I see it, it has to be configurable. I would love to be able to tell Phocus to backup every file to another drive or only files that have a certain label (green, yellow or red) or rating (*,**,***,etc.).

Domip

Indeed Dustbak, that was my point what I was affraid off losing those capabilities.

In the meantime I've found a solution to backup with a nifty little program 'Sync Folders Pro' from the App Store:

http://www.greenworldsoft.com/sync-folders-pro-help.html#link7

Has all the flexibility one can hope for, until Phocus can do it.

Martin

chronosync might be a helpful software for you!