Help me decide!

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustbak

I am currently in the process of deciding whether I want to (can't really say I need to) upgrade my H3D31 to a H5D40 or H5D50. I allready own a H4D60.

I mainly use the 31 on location (99% flash) and really like the small filesize and the ability to shoot fast. For some assignments I also do not mind the cropfactor. I dislike it that it seems to loose contrast much faster than for instance the 60, especially when shooting on white (eg. a lot  of backlighting).

Normally I would think of upgrading towards the H5D40 but the contrast thing is shying me away somewhat. I would not want that in the camera I am upgrading to. I have sofar not found a really good reason why my 60 has better contrast under the same circumstances as my 31 other than the assumption it might have to with the microlenses on the sensor. The sensor in the H5D40 has microlenses too...

The H5D50 has a better upgrading proposition but I am wary it might be slower in capture speed, it has a slower ISO speed and cannot do the longer exposur times the 40 can do. All in all the 50 might be coming too close to what I already have in my H4D60.

I am looking towards experiences people have with the H4/5D40 with contrast when shooting with white backgrounds. Is the contrast better with the 40 than it is with the older 31? If so I would lean more towards upgrading to the 40 than the 50.

choices choices choices  ::)

bodtlaender

Do the microlenses get blind during the years?

Best,

Bernd

Dustbak

I ended up with the H5D40. I will let you know my findings after I have gotten to know the camera.

vreeke

H5D is enough quality shotmaking so buy a 1Dx for other possible kind of shotmaking

Dustbak

That is not an issue I have a whole range of others cameras ranging from Merrils, m4/3's and Nikons for that purpose.

Carl_ Keeley

Dust bank, I'd love to know what you find with the H5 40 as I'm looking to upgrade to that also from my H3 22.
The contrast with white background is interesting to know about

Dustbak

Carl,

There is a thread that has a lot of my findings with the H5D40 somewhere below.