H4D 60

Previous topic - Next topic

Giorgio

Hello all,

I just wanted to report about my experiences with the H4D 60 over the last few months (arrived just late December 2012).

January and February are pretty busy for me and coming from the H4D 40 I had no qualms about bringing a new camera into my schedule. I thought, how different can the 60 be?

Very different as it turns out, I was used to shooting the 40 fast, in shooting the 60 fast I hit the buffer and the camera timed out. The little hourglass appeared and I was forced to switch cameras. Well I like shooting the 60 so I learned to slow down my frame rate.

But after a talk with Paul Cleason where he mentioned that the 60 is UDMA 7 ready  I went out and bought some new Lexar 1000x cards. Problem solved! I am happy to report that the H4D 60 loves the Lexar UDMA 7 1000x cards!

YMMV, I hope this info helps.

Ciao,
Giorgio

Greg

Giorgio,

Just curious as to which card you were using that gave you trouble.  Normally I do not shoot fast, but recently I was taking shots from a small airplane that required several shots in sequence that was pretty fast.  No little hour glass appeared, so I guess I was OK, but I don't want to get into trouble in the future. 

Thanks,

Greg

Giorgio

Hey Greg,

If you want to stay out of trouble remember One is None, Two is One. Always have a back up!

The cards I was using (witch always performed flawlessly in my H4D 40) were a set of ADATA 533x 32GB cards. Normally I buy Lexar cards but I got a good deal on the purchase of the ADATA and they came with a lifetime warranty. Regardless I don't think the cards were the problem, the problem was the write speed of the cards was not fast enough to keep with my shooting speed of the 60.

Anyway, the cards work fine with my other cameras. All is well that ends well.

Greg

Giorgio,

Sorry I was not specific in my question.  I meant which card and what speed?  One of my 32 Gig cards is a Lexar 400 speed, and that was the basis for my question.  Since I got two Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 Gig cards, I don't often use the Lexar one.  If you look at the speed and the specifications in the description of the card, you will see different read and write speeds that do not seem to support the 400, 800, and 1000 speeds on the cards.  My Sandisk Extreme Pro cards even have "90 MB/s" printed on the card.  Hopefully that means 90 MB/ sec for both read and write speeds.  B&H even says that Sandisk Extreme Pro cards that are UDMA 7 may be "marked 6 on the card".???  And to add confusion to that they rate it as "minimum write speed" or "maximum write speed" in the specifications listed for the card.  Then, when you go on the websites that rate the "actual" speed of the card, it becomes more confusing.  The Lexar 1000 cards topped the speed list on that website.  But, I guess those test speeds should be the defining standard for actual speed.  Yes, I always carry backups.

Greg