Help - H3D22 buffer?

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl_ Keeley

I'm loving my "new to me " H3D. Total convert now to the H system. And post is a dream - love the files.
I soot beauty (hair) mostly and some fashion or portraits. The colors as superlative - wow!

Having said all that, I am running into issues whilst tethering to LR.
Specifically the back freezing up. The  red indicator showing riingin progress flashes none stopn and it freexes there. The remedy is a battery removal restsrt. Which is really annoying.
Is this me just hitting the buffer limit? Im shooting about a frame every 2-3 seconds.
If so I'm guessing the only remedy is to shoot slower.

Any tips or cures for this?

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Make sure that the firmware in the back and the body are the latest versions. Check your firewire connections. Check to see if your computer can be configured to allow more RAM allowance for the graphics. You should check tethered operation with Phocus and if the camera does need firmware updates you will do them using Phocus.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

Dustbak

Another option is checking your firewire cable, H3D/H4D bodies are bitches with firewire cables and shooting tethered. i use a tetherlock always, boot up your system and as soon as the back is connected to Phocus fasten the cable with a tetherlock to your body. This has solved many of the connection issues I have had with my H3's and H4.

Tethered shooting still has some issues and isn't yet as stable as I would have liked but with the right approach you will circumvent most misery.

@Douglas, do you have any idea when or where we can get the new angled HB firewire cables?

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Hi Dustbak,
I am out of the loop now but the Pro Centre would be the best people to answer that question for you.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

Domip

Carl_ Keeley

Thanks for the replies :)

I do use a Teetherlock and they are great!
Good idea about the additional RAM allocation, illlookat that.

I use a MacBook Pro 17 early 2009 I think. It's the one with the video card that doesn't play nice with Phocus (see my other grumblings) so I'm  a bit stuck there.

A friend of mine uses Flexcolor with his H2D 22. I've worked with him and he seems motto have this issue. I'd assume theoldersoftware is leaner and less hungry?
Is Flexcolor  a better match for these older backs?

Dustbak

Thanks Domip, I know about this one. It was reported HB has come with its own angled cable with a perfect fit for the H backs.. So good you can even lift the thing with the cable (seen the video somewhere but forgot exactly where). I have already bought so many cables and most do not fit the opening of the back (I always buy the 4.5 mtr versions) forcing me to slice some material from the plug.

Flexcolor is absolutely rock solid. Much more so than Phocus even though Phocus is improving with each new version (don't forget Flex is somewhere in the 4.xx series while we are now with phocus at 2.7.1). However I find the color rendering of Phocus much better than that of Flexcolor.

I would suggest tweaking until you find the setup that works most stable for you.

Carl_ Keeley

Thanks Dustbak...
Yes the color in Phocus is unbelievably great. LR and Flexcolor don't render anywhere near it in that regard. Not sure why.
I will play around a bit more. Basically just trying to find a way to shoot tethered without interruption. After capture and selection I'm going straight to Phocus to process for best result and then to PS.
If only I could do that  without the back or laptop crashing...

jimgolden

H3D-22 is one of the best digital sensors ever IMHO. I had one for 3 years, this was my favorite digital camera of all time. The files are beautiful and there's no stuffing 60MP in there so transitions are great tonality is great, no grittiness, etc. hang in there and sort your problems, it's well worth it.

Have you tried using flex color? I know it's old and junky, but it runs on just about anything and will run that back on significantly less reproduces than your using, super stable and fast as he'll.

Jim

Greg

Jim,

I'm with you.  Love the files from my H3D22.  Great colors and excellent resolution.

Greg