Delema

Previous topic - Next topic

Giorgio

Hello All,

I am in a bit of a quandary over my recent purchase of an H4D 60 from my dealer.

I have an HCD 28, an HCD 35/90, an HC100, and a HC 150. I now miss my HC 210 that I sold (mistake).

I don't like the fact that the HCD 35/90 gives me dark corners and am thinking about the new HC 50... The HCD 35/90 is more adaptable than the prime 50 but the 50 gives full coverage and when I use the 35/90 I am usually at 50mm or close to it.

What would you do? Sell the HCD 35/90 and buy the new HC 50II or just stay put and use what I already have?

Choices, I know that I am lucky to have them!

rem

Giorgo, I asked a friend of mine, a very good photographer in Germany (www.nachbar.de). He use a lot his H4D60 and the most time with the 35-90mm. He have no dark corners. Only when he use a filter with normal "thickness", he will see slightly darker corners. With a slim filter thats gone. Stupid question: I'm sure, you have on the vignette correction in the lenscorrection...
rem

Greg

Giorgio,

I'm with rem on this one.  But I also wanted to ask if you were using the full frame on the 60 rather than the cropped version.  When I look at the full frame version in Phocus the corners are dark, but not so in the cropped version.

From what I find in the forums, the HD50II is a great lens (I don't own one).  If you are using the 50mm range a lot on your 35/90, you may be better off with the HC50II.  But you may regret getting rid of the 35/90, because it is so versatile and such a good lens.  It seems I always regret selling camera equipment and lenses so I have vowed to never sell any.

The HD35 was one of my favorite lenses prior to getting the 35/90, but I now find myself wanting the HCD28.  Since it is cropped on the 60, it really is not a 28.  Maybe the new HCD24 will be a winner for me, but I question whether I need another lens.  Maybe I can trade the 35 for the 24.   

Greg

mauro risch

This is the reason I went for the H4D-50. No aspect ratio confusion and no post production BS.
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

Giorgio

Thank you all!

Going to keep the HCD 35/90 and work a little extra until I can buy one of the new 50's.

Even though getting used to the 60 has taken a little work on my part, I still think it's worth it.

Ciao,

rem

Hm, becaus my hole Gear was stolen last Friday in Santa Monica LA, I have to decide what a new Camera I will buy. I had the H4D40 and my Dealer offered me a H4D60 nearly for the same price as the new H5d/40. BUT, I like to carry around my Camera, working also with 800 and 1600iso, so I think the 40er would be better for me. Giorgo, what do you had to learn with the 60er that it works?

Giorgio

Hi Rem,

I used a 40 for 2 years and a bit. It's a killer camera because it has a fast frame rate (UDMA 6, 600 speed cards) and the 100 to 800 absolutely usable ISO range.

The 40 has some quirks, the 1.3 crop means all lenses are longer, works for my subjects which tend to be people. For me the camera is hand holdable and I used shutter speeds of 1/30 when necessary. But the camera does better with support either a mono or a tri pod.

The 60 required a bit of a learning curve for me. I had to slow down a lot.

The 60 so far as I have tested does not really look good past 200 ISO but I really like having the option of shooting at 50 ISO. I would think though that if your scene is cleanly lite you could get away with higher ISO? I still need more time with the camera though, the effect of a high ISO with clean light might be pleasing? Don't know until I get a chance to try it.

The frame rate is a bit of a problem, you can easily shoot past the buffer with the effect that the camera becomes inoperable. The hour glass symbol appears on the top lcd and you have to wait for the buffer to clear. I don't know if this happens when shooting tethered or not because I don't shoot tethered. At least not yet. Hasselblad USA tells me that the H4D 60 will work with the faster UDMA 7 1000 speed cards so that is going to help a little.

The 60 is definitely a camera that wants to be supported, and I can see myself using a tripod more than previously.

All of this being said, the files are gorgeous! The detail contained is astounding, and the colors are superb.

I shot an H4D 50 in studio for a day and the camera worked flawlessly. I shot about 1000 frames and never hit the buffer. The H4D cameras are wonderful but they are all different.

fotografz

I am a bit late to this ... I use a H4D/60 and did sell my HCD 35-90/4.0-5.6 zoom and bought the HC 50/3.5-II lens.

Being a HC lens rather than a HCD, there is no vignetting of corners with the 50-II on the full 60 meg frame. The new lens is a spectacular performer ... one of the best H lenses currently offered IMO.

I decided to get it because the zoom cannot be used on the HTS/1.5 ... and now Hasselblad has brought out a close-up adapter that was specially matched to the new 50-II lens.

Being nice and small, I tend to carry the new 50-II and 100/2.2 on walk-abouts.

If you can get both that is the best of all worlds.

-arc

rem

Hi Marc
So far I have now a new H4D50 (before the 40) with the 100/2.2 and the 35-90. Will upgrade in a few month to the H5D50. I wait now a bit and will then the 24mm (had the 28) also the 1.5TS again. With the tele maybe I will go with the 150er (had the 120er). I tried the 1.7 Converter with the 100er, but I like the handling not  when I will change the lens. For the moment I really miss a walk around lens. I had the 80mm and found this lens OK, but the 50mm would be much better... I have to try it. You miss nothing between the 50mm and 100mm?
lg rem

fotografz

Hi Rem, I do have the 80mm between the 50 and 100 but rarely use it. I mostly use it on the HTS/1.5 (which is a 120mm field of view on that TS unit).

-Marc

davidthescot

Hi Marc

I sold my 35-90 and bought a 35 and a 50Mk2 when I got my H4D-60 and I am very happy with the result. My two favourite lenses are the 50 and the 100 - don't miss the zoom at all and like you was a little irritated by the cropping/vignetting.