Rollei 6008AF & Hasselblad backs

Previous topic - Next topic

neilfolberg

Hello,

Does anyone have experience using the Hasselblad backs on the Rollei 6008AF?

If so, how does the interface work - are there problems or not? Which back and are you happy with performance? What kind of photos do you make?

Any other opinions or info will be useful -

Thanks,
Neil

Monty Rakusen

Hi

I used the 132C back with 6008AF for 3 years. It was really hard working with the poor autofocus and very stressful. However the image quality was excellent and it was a reliable system. I shoot mainly corporate and you can download my ebooks at www.rakusen.co.uk (the site is being rebuilt at this time). More recent work, the last 18 months has all been H3D 39 and it has been to a large degree less stressful. The image quality and reliability has been excellent so the change has been positive. As the price has come down so much might it not be worth looking at a demo H3D?

To sumarise: I loved my 6008AF more than I do the H3D but the 6008AF does not work as well.

Monty Rakusen

neilfolberg

Many thanks for your reply. Monty. Your primary problem seems to have been the autofocus on the rollei, but I gather that other than that, the Rollei system with Hasselblad back worked well.  In addition to having a substantial amount invested in the brilliant Rollei-Schneider lenses, I have found the AF adequate for my purposes which looking at your web site, I can see are different than yours and probably less demanding. So it sounds to me like a Hasselblad back such as the CFII-39 might work for me. I'm weighing it against the Leaf AFi-7, which I've tested for the manufacturer, or the AFi-10 - these are great cameras, and they use the Rollei lenses. Price is the critical issue right now. Best wishes, Neil Folberg

Monty Rakusen

Oh yes a Hasselblad back would be great on the 6008AF if your work is not that focus critical. Its a heavier camera but reliable....and on that point remember that you could get a 6008 integral as a backup but its a pig to use. There won't be much support for your combination so you'll have to be brave.
You'll need a plate and probably a set of shims to get your focus right and a mask to go in the viewer, I'm sorry I can't remember if it goes on top or below but one of these ruins the focus :)

I did look at the Leaf and the camera is wonderful but the digital back is not. This way you can have a great camera (not quite as good as the Hy6) and a great digital back but you'll lose the integration and the lens correction (which you might not use anyway) of the H3D and of course your widest lens will be a 40mm as opposed to the Hasselblad 28. You might think this is too wide but I now use it all the time with its amazing corrections.

I should imagine you can pick up a CFII 39 at a good price and as long as you are brave and capable and willing to learn the foibles of a hybrid camera you should be fine for at least 3 years.

Back to my sick bed :(

Monty Rakusen