3rd party cable release

Previous topic - Next topic

roderick

I would like to purchase a H cable release. I found one on one of the auction sites that I prefer to the Hasselblad because of the coiled cable. Has any one had any experience with this model and is there any drawbacks to the coiled version that I should be aware of.

Cheers,

Roderick

Monty Rakusen

Wow this is an amazing retro cable release! Remember it will cover one of your buttons because of its right angle plug. It should work fine.

I have one made for me from a Dell on off button, it sits inside a PVC tube so it cant get caught in grilles and things and is resistant to being stepped on.

Monty

roderick

Henry

Roderick,

Do let us know how it works and where you got it from as it looks like the thing I'm after for use with the HTS which won't accept the Hasselblad release - it needs the right angle plug to allow movements (you re-programme the back buttons which you can't reach in any case with the HTS in a profile).

Many thanks in advance,

Henry

Bill L.

I have a Canon RS-60E3 cable release from an old canon digital rebel that works on my H3DII-39.  It has the right-angle connector on it.  I keep it in my pack in case my Hasselblad release fails.  They're pretty cheap and easy to find.  Cable is longer the the H release, but doesn't look to be as long as the one pictured above.

desertdiver

Not just equipped with a right angle connector, but Vello remote switches (release cables) for Canon cameras work perfectly on H-bodies. Price is US$ 7.50 at a big retailer in NY. A programmable remote switch (delays, sequences, number of shots, etc) can be had for US$ 52.50! Using them now since a couple of months I don't have any complaints.

Regards,
Udo

Drchevalier

Thanks a lot Udo!

I really appreciate your experience with the Canon compatible releases.  I bought the extraordinarily expensive cable from Pocket Wizard to be able to use my Plus IIIs as radio transmitter / receivers to fire the shutter on the H4D-40 and when I took a close look at it and tested the pin connections using a multimeter, discovered that I have been robbed by the Pocket Wizard people.  Caveat Emptor, I bought it, my fault.  One thing I did note is that it is the same cable from PW for many Canons as for Hasselblad so I would expect that any cable or device that uses the miniplug configuration for Canon will work fine with the H4D-40.  I have a Hahnel timer / sequencer / radio remote for the 1Dx and it works brilliantly.  I will arrange to test the one with the Hasselblad connector (Canon) and let everyone know how it works out.

And I'm going to return this Pocket Wizard cable as there is nothing to it and it sure isn't worth what they charge for it.

Ross

Drchevalier

Ok friends, I have completed my test.  I have a Hahnel Giga T Pro wireless intervalometer, remote release etc, that I bought for my Canons.  I checked my parts drawer and discovered that it came with cables for the 1D series as well as for the Rebel series. 

I removed the HTS from the body and fitted the 90 degree angle plug into the body receptacle and fed the cable around the back to the receiver that sits in the hot shoe.  I then put the lens and HTS back on and powered up the H4D-40.

I turned on the radio transmitter, tuned the receiver to match the channel on the transmitter (one of the things I liked about the Hahnel is that it has 20 channels available to it), set up the camera and walked across the room and pressed the button and click went the shutter.  The system is radio based in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

I then tried a 5 shot sequence separated by 1 second using the intervalometer function.

Yup, that worked too.  So it costs nothing since I already use the device for night shots with the Canon and it gives me range of up to 100m although I have never tried that distance.  I also forgot that you can use it as a cabled release by plugging the cable into the transmitter instead of the receiver.

Here's the link to the device http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm/action/productSearch/pid/80

I've used it for over a year with the 7D, 5DMk II, 1D Mk IV and the 1Dx without any problems and I'm now very excited to do some winter night shots with the H4D-40