Cable for mounting h3dII-39 back on view camera

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L.

Hi All,

I'm investigating view camera solutions for my H3DII-39 back to shoot in the field.  Love the camera, but I find that I'm shooting enough stitched panoramics that I'm tempted to dust off the 4x5 and try the back on it for panos.  For some reason I can't seem to find specs for the cable from the lens to the back for triggering the back.  Is it a straightforward PC to 2.5mm cable?  That's what it looks like.

Thanks!
Bill

desertdiver

Bill,

yes, it is such a straight forward cable. Usually this (helix) cable is part of the H camera kit. In the back's menue you need to dial in "flash" for proper synching / timing. Depending on the lens' shutter timing you might get a magenta cast on your captures in case you use faster shutter speeds (e.g. 1/125s and faster). A work around would be using an electrical cable release connected to the back's synch in socket and a standard mechanical cable release on the lens to trip its shutter. Adjust the back to 2sec exposure time, i.e. once the back has been triggered by the electrical cable release you have to trip the lens' shutter within this 2sec time frame.

All this is about waking up the back in order to to flush the sensor before the light hits the sensor for the next capture. There is also a nice little trigger available made by Alpa, which makes all this a lot more comfortable in just one shot.

Good luck.

Regards,
Udo

Bill L.

Thanks, Udo!  What do you know - I dug out the box for the kit and the cable was there.  I'll give what you say a try.

Cheers!
Bill