New Macro Converter

Previous topic - Next topic

peterbkk

Does anyone have any specs, data or images of the "New Macro Converter"?

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

peterbkk

Thanks. I look forward to playing with one.

hlop

Hi Douglas,

Any idea why none of converters and accessories are compatible with H zooms? HTS, TC 1.7, Macro converter to name a few - all docs say "The ZZZZZ cannot be combined with the following lenses" and then 50-110 as well as 35-90 follow

I can't recall such an amount of incompatibilities between V system things

NickT

I think it's to do with the weight of the zooms putting too much pressure on the converters..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hlop

Quote from: NickT on September 28, 2012, 11:15:19 AM
I think it's to do with the weight of the zooms putting too much pressure on the converters..

Thanks Nick!

So, would it be right to say that if I use, for example, RRS lens support, to unload weight from bayonet mount, I'll be able to use converters, including HTS, with these zooms? Just wondering if there is could be something else like mounting problems or some optical issues (AFAIK even HTS has optical elements)

Talking about RRS long lens support I mean something like this:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CB-YS-QR-Pkg&type=3&eq=CB-YS-QR-Pkg-001&desc=Lens-Support-Pkg%2c-dual-Quick-Release&key=ait

NickT

Yes I think so.. but if hasselblad feel strongly enough about it they may have disabled the combos via firmware, especially if they also feel that image quality will be badly affected..
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hlop

Quote from: NickT on September 28, 2012, 01:45:42 PM
Yes I think so.. but if hasselblad feel strongly enough about it they may have disabled the combos via firmware, especially if they also feel that image quality will be badly affected..

Fair enough. In this case I definitely must not buy any of such combinations unless I have tried myself or have a proof that it works. On the other hand, no one can guarantee that it works now but they won't disable it in the next firmware update

dumitru

It is physically not possible to use the 35-90mm zoom with either the teleconverter or the HTS because the zoom has two plastic "tongues" that stick out precluding the mating of the lens with either the teleconverter or the HTS.  I don't know about the other zoom since I don't own it.  So Hasselblad has made it impossible to use the above combination.  It would be possible to file down the two plastic tongues but then as noted above it is not clear if Phocus would support lens corrections for the combinations.  Anyway, I tried to make them work but there is just no way without physically altering the zoom.

regards
dan

hlop

Quote from: dumitru on September 28, 2012, 02:40:06 PM
It is physically not possible to use the 35-90mm zoom with either the teleconverter or the HTS because the zoom has two plastic "tongues" that stick out precluding the mating of the lens with either the teleconverter or the HTS.  I don't know about the other zoom since I don't own it.  So Hasselblad has made it impossible to use the above combination.  It would be possible to file down the two plastic tongues but then as noted above it is not clear if Phocus would support lens corrections for the combinations.  Anyway, I tried to make them work but there is just no way without physically altering the zoom.

Hi Dan, would you be able to post a close up snapshot of these "tongues" you've mentioned? Just want to visualize it as I don't have 35-90 and don't see anything like this on my 50-110

Quote from: hlop on September 28, 2012, 10:50:25 AM
Hi Douglas,

Any idea why none of converters and accessories are compatible with H zooms? HTS, TC 1.7, Macro converter to name a few - all docs say "The ZZZZZ cannot be combined with the following lenses" and then 50-110 as well as 35-90 follow

I can't recall such an amount of incompatibilities between V system things
Hi Hlop, I am no expert on optics or a company spokesperson but I will try and answer the best way I can. As mentioned in this thread the zoom lenses have a much greater mass, they also have protective flanges at the rear that look like they would physically prevent them fitting the macro converter although I am sure that is not their only purpose. There could be reasons why the addition of extra optics is harder to correct with a zoom configuration. The performance of the HC optics are getting better and better so if the macro converter does not offer an improvement with a certain lens type it is understandable that it should be described as incompatible. I think all readers of this forum would agree that Hasselblad go to greater lengths than most companies to allow compatibility between all their products where it can be achieved, no matter how old.
Just for the record this picture taken from a Hasselblad promotion is my own camera, given to me 38 years ago, used everyday and on it's 3rd set of body coverings and looking like it needs a change of livery. Any suggestions?  :o

hlop

Hi Douglas, thanks a lot for the reply!

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank on September 28, 2012, 08:23:23 PM
Hi Hlop, I am no expert on optics or a company spokesperson but I will try and answer the best way I can.
I thought you are UK Hassy representative/dealer and you should have most reliable information. Apologies if I got it wrong

QuoteAs mentioned in this thread the zoom lenses have a much greater mass, they also have protective flanges at the rear that look like they would physically prevent them fitting the macro converter although I am sure that is not their only purpose. There could be reasons why the addition of extra optics is harder to correct with a zoom configuration. The performance of the HC optics are getting better and better so if the macro converter does not offer an improvement with a certain lens type it is understandable that it should be described as incompatible. I think all readers of this forum would agree that Hasselblad go to greater lengths than most companies to allow compatibility between all their products where it can be achieved, no matter how old.
Just for the record this picture taken from a Hasselblad promotion is my own camera, given to me 38 years ago, used everyday and on it's 3rd set of body coverings and looking like it needs a change of livery. Any suggestions?  :o

That's exactly what I misunderstand with "new" Hasselblad. V system exists for so many years and all parts are compatible across the system - I myself still have few Hasselbald bodies and bunch of lenses, including 40 C T* and 250 C T*, which I can use in any combination with macro rings, tele-converters etc. But modern H Systems has too many limitations and show stoppers. Anyone buying these new products should be aware of those limitations and make sure he/she doesn't throw hard earned banknotes to the fire

Best regards,
Mike

Photo Dave

"Just for the record this picture taken from a Hasselblad promotion is my own camera, given to me 38 years ago, used everyday and on it's 3rd set of body coverings and looking like it needs a change of livery. Any suggestions?  :o"

Hello Doug
Have you tried changing the livery to match the new Lunar? maybe try some wood, titanium, powdered unicorn horn or something of that nature. It could greatly increase the value of your old 500cm

:D

Hi Hlop,

I am an employee of Hasselblad and also a photographer in my own time. I enjoy reading the articles in this forum and I try to help with technical advice when I can. But I do not speak with the authority of Hasselblad and any opinions I have are entirely my own.
I think it is very important that customers of Hasselblad should have a good relationship with the company and I try to keep the balance of having friendly and truthful conversations in this forum and adopting the same standards when working for Hasselblad.
I am grateful for the chance to work for this company and to contribute to this forum and I hope that I can continue to do so.

In reply to your question about the zoom lenses I didn't leave anything out or avoid the question, I simply do not know why the converters are not compatible with the zoom lens, I can only offer suggestions to why that might be the case.

dumitru

The teleconverter is not compatible with the zoom (35-90mm) as noted above in my previous post because of the little pieces of plastic that stick out on the back end of the lens.  You can go to this link (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/23213-fs-hasselblad-hcd-35-90-like-new.html) and the picture of the back end of the lens is shown.  If you look closely you will see the two "tongues" of plastic as I call them sticking out.  This physically precludes this zoom from mating with the teleconverters.  Also, of note, the 28mm lens has these same little tongues of plastic.  The teleconverter does not have a recess slot for these tongues and therefore you cannot use the 1.7X converter with either the 28mm or the 35-90mm zoom.  BUT the HTS does have the slot in it so that the 28mm can mate with the 28mm but not with the zoom.  This is because the little tongues of plastic are off-set with respect to the red dot on the two devices between the 28mm and the zoom allowing the zoom to not fit with the HTS but permitting a joining of the HTS with the 28mm. 

I don't think weight has anything to do  with the issue.  My 300mm weighs more than the 35-90mm zoom and I can attach both the 1.7x and the HTS with no problem and phocus deals with the picture just fine.  There are examples of this exact same setup somewhere on this forum.  You can also use two 1.7x together with the 300 with no problem other than light loss.

When I first got the zoom I considered filing sown the little tongues but was advised against it by my rep. as it would void the warranty on the lens and for this much money I'll forego putting on a teleconveter or the HTS.

This is my take on this situation having all of the above components and trying to mate them in various ways.  Clearly H feels the zoom (35-90mm) should not be used with a teleconveter or HTS for whatever reason.  Perhaps Mr. Claesson can speak to this issue from the manufacturers perspective as all else would just be idle speculation.

regards
dan