True Focus?

Previous topic - Next topic

peterbkk

In preparation for my new H4D, I downloaded the manual and read it (always a dangerous pursuit).

Finally got my head around True Focus (page 40), but I was wondering what people do in real life.

- Leave TF on all the time?
- Activate it using the TF button for certain kinds of shots?
- Reassign a button to it? (this option has me scratching my head - it already has its own button, right?)
- Ignore it completely?

My photography is mainly travel, people, places, some portrait.

Regards
Peter

mauro risch

I use it to double check the focus some times in critical lighting situations.
The top back button, (factory settings) seems to do the trick for me.
Normally I would leave in manual focus and check it.
For portraits it is fantastic. When using the 120mm for portraits, I often use daylight and f4.0.
I haven't lost many shots after using the true focus button.

Ciao,

Mauro
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

peterbkk

Hi Mauro,

Would you mind elaborating on the process that you use to check focus with the True Focus button?

Regards
Peter

Dustbak

I use the TF as my only AF button. I have taken of the AF from the release button. You focus with the TF button until you hear the 'beep', recompose by making a deliberate wrist turn (so the camera notices it) and press the release button. I never ever am afraid of not nailing focus where I want it.

Fotograf

Quote from: Dustbak on August 26, 2012, 08:53:52 PM
I use the TF as my only AF button. I have taken of the AF from the release button. You focus with the TF button until you hear the 'beep', recompose by making a deliberate wrist turn (so the camera notices it) and press the release button. I never ever am afraid of not nailing focus where I want it.

+1

Michael

peterbkk

When you say "I have taken off the AF from the release button", does that mean that you have changed custom option 31, True Focus in AF-S to "On"?

Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with some of these "new" (to me) functions.

I have never owned an auto-focus camera in my life (except an iPhone).  So, I'll do a lot of playing until I get to a modus operandi that I like.

I figure that I'll have two or three primary working modes.  One for street/people photography where I'll learn to rely on some auto-focus and auto-exposure to get a quick shot when something interesting happens (AF-S?).  And another for more "considered" tripod-based photography like landscapes (MF?).  Maybe a third model for posed portraits (TF?).

And three corresponding modus operandi for exposure: Street: Pv;   Landscape: Spot / Zone;   Portraits: Manual with incident meter.

How much of the above can be put into "profiles"?

Regards
Peter

PS. I hope you guys don't mind me picking your brains while I'm in this steep learning curve.

Dustbak

Quote from: peterbkk on August 27, 2012, 02:45:08 AM

When you say "I have taken off the AF from the release button", does that mean that you have changed custom option 31, True Focus in AF-S to "On"?

Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with some of these "new" (to me) functions.

I have never owned an auto-focus camera in my life (except an iPhone).  So, I'll do a lot of playing until I get to a modus operandi that I like.

I figure that I'll have two or three primary working modes.  One for street/people photography where I'll learn to rely on some auto-focus and auto-exposure to get a quick shot when something interesting happens (AF-S?).  And another for more "considered" tripod-based photography like landscapes (MF?).  Maybe a third model for posed portraits (TF?).

And three corresponding modus operandi for exposure: Street: Pv;   Landscape: Spot / Zone;   Portraits: Manual with incident meter.

How much of the above can be put into "profiles"?

Regards
Peter

PS. I hope you guys don't mind me picking your brains while I'm in this steep learning curve.

No problem, brain picking is what the forum is for. Not sure where in the menu system it is but basically you make the body manual focus (the release button only releases and does not engage autofocus). I used to move autofocus to the AE-L button but now that is not necessary anymore since the TF button has taken over that role. Sorry I am sitting on the couch right now and don't have the body at hand so I have to do it by memory and this tends to be one of those things once set I never care to look at it again.

I don't use profiles much. The way my body is setup I can always opt to use TF or not, manual focus is always available and the meter in the M mode is always functional. eg. 1 setting fits all :)

peterbkk

peterbkk

Hasselblad Bulletin has a new "tips and tricks" on True Focus: http://www.hasselbladbulletin.com/uk/sep-2012/tips-tricks/h-system-different-true-focus-activation-modes.aspx

I read it eagerly, looking for the breakthrough that I need to start getting the best out of this TF feature.  But, I am afraid that it did not help.  Mainly just a repeat of what the manual confusingly says.

I understand completely how True Focus works; the whole "yaw" measurement thing.  I understand about the situation when it would be useful: close-up, shallow DoF, want to auto-focus but the critical focus point not in centre of intended framing.

I understand "profiles" and have created 3 for the usual types of photography that I do.

But, I am confused about these TF "different activation modes".  I am trying to find the one that suits me.

The one that I find most puzzling is "Activated by True Focus button - Autofocus deactivated".  If there is a dedicated TF button, why do you have to change the AF setting first?  Can the TF button not activate TF?  And, is autofocus actually deactivated, i.e. now the lens is only manual focus.

And, why "activate by a selected user button" like mirror-up, when we already have a TF button?  Why not use MU for mirror-up and TF to activate true focus?

Is it best to use the "Activated by shutter release button - True Focus retained", setup in a special "close-up" profile?  Seems like the most convenient option.  But, then the TF button plays no role, right?

Maybe someone should give Hasselblad (and me) some help and write down the circumstances in which each of the activation modes might be best used: "TF activation for Dummies".

Regards
Peter

fotografz

The H4 provides a number of ways to activate a number of functions by assigning them to a number of buttons. Is that clear ... LOL!

I use the TF thumb button on the grip back when using True Focus Absolute Position Lock (TF/APL). When you press that button the camera focuses on anything you have the center focus area aimed at. Once it locks, you can release the TF button and it remains locked until you press it again. You then recompose the image and use the shutter button to fire the shot. BTW, it is also faster than when part of the shutter function.

I use the stop down button on the front of the grip for firing a manual White Balance ... to do that, the menu has to be set on Manual White Balance, then it is a one button step to fire a WB calibration. When you press the assigned button, the camera instantly fires a shot. It is so fast, that you can use manual WB all the time.

Good luck with your camera ... there are a lot of features to discover.

-Marc

mauro risch

Did anyone notice the shorter battery life when using TF?
It looks like the TF feature increases battery consumption on my H4D-50.
Anybody else?
Cheers,
Mauro
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588