Tripod Mount on Hasselblad HD4

Previous topic - Next topic

peterbkk

Soon I will collect a new H4D-50 / HC100, replacing a 14 year-old 205FCC and CFV.

In preparation I'm thinking about some of the ancillary items I need to prepare.

What about the tripod mount on the H4D?  One the 205FCC, I replaced the Hasselblad mount with an "Arca-Swiss" mount so that it can slip straight onto an Arca-Swiss head (or many other tripod heads that use this quick-mount head).

I can't seem to find much information about the tripod mount that comes standard on the H4D, other than the normal screw head sizes.  Can anyone enlighten me on the mount and any suggestions of what people use for tripod mounts.

regards
Peter

Miller

As you already use Arca Swiss mount, it seems most logical to buy the Arca Swiss H camera plate, or, if you prefer, an L bracket?

Frans Rutten

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I think that I had the plate that you are referring to on my 503CW. From memory, that plate won't work on the H4d. Given that the H4D is 645, you will probably want to use it in vertical orientation. Here's where your problem start. and the solution is an L bracket. I use an RRS one as do quite a lot of others around here. There is just too much weight to swing it on a ballhead. Even if the tripod head is up to it, any plate on the camera body will loosen with the weight.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

peterbkk

Thanks for the advice guys.  Being a square photographer for 20 years, I never thought about vertical...

What about this one: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/LH-4.php. Looks a little less obtrusive than the RRS.  Any good?

In digging around the web on this topic, I also saw this:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/265096-REG/Hasselblad_3043326_Tripod_Quick_Coupling_H.html

Of course, it'd be no use for vertical work.  Probably not even strong enough to hold the camera on its side.  But, does anyone use it for horizontal mount?

Regards
Peter

Miller

I have used the H quick coupling plate. It is more than able to hold the camera in vertical position.
As I am now using the Arca Swiss Cube, I have switched to the Arca H camera plate. It is a clever design which prevents it from coming loose.
If you shoot verticals on a regular basis, an L bracket is the way to go.

Frans Rutten

peterbkk

So, I will buy a Hasselblad quick mount and an RRS L plate and play wih both on my Ultimate Ball Head and see which way I prefer.

Regards
Peter

peterbkk

To wrap up this discussion, the Really Right Stuff L plate has earned a permanent place on my H4D.

In addition to being very handy for quick horizontal or vertical mounting on the tripod, it also doubles as protection for the left-hand-side of the camera.  This means that the camera can safely rest left-side-down in my camera bag, putting the hand-grip at the top for quick and easy removal from the bag...

Thanks for all the useful advice.

Regards
Peter

TareqPhoto

I have also that L-Plate of RRS on my H4D, it is there since i bought it in 2009 and never took it out only when i traded in H3DII-39 to H4D and when i sent my H4D-60 for repairing.

Drchevalier

Friends, for what it is worth, I swear by the Really Right Stuff L-Plates.  I have one on the H4D-40, the M9 and all the Canons.  The quality is excellent, weight is manageable and mounting and dismounting from RRS heads is absolutely flawless.  I also add their Wedding Pro Flash adapter 2 to get a shoe flash (Metz 54 with SCA adapter) off the camera for those non- staged lighting shots and find the entire kit extremely usable.

Ross

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I stick with RRS L plates, particularly with Arca heads. The Cube and D4 that I have are both adjustable as opposed to the RRS which is fixed. I recently discovered that not all plates are the same size and a tight fit for one plate won't grip another.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com