New MacBook Pro Retina anyone?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacephoto

Hi, has anyone started to use the new MacBook Pro Retina with your H4ds? How do you get it connected anyway?  :D

davidthescot

Cannot be done easily until the Apple Thunderbolt to FW adapter ships.  This was forecast for July but I am still waiting.  Very happy with the ne MBpro Retina in all other respects though.

Jacephoto

I see. Thanks for the update/info. And i guess for Asia, it would be an even later date! 

I am having a shoot in Sept and was hoping that the new gear comes in. Haha

davidthescot

Just got the adapter and it works fine on my H4D-60 and MBPR

Jacephoto

Wow, sounds good. But isn't Mac way too ahead? We seem to be getting these peripherals to downgrade their hardware so that we can still be in the real world. haha.

Dustbak

I just got my rMBP and the firewire adapter. Sofar it seems to work. Next week will be the real test when I have 2 high pressure shoots. The screen is phenomenal but it does make me wonder how far off it is from reality. My 30" EIZO seems like crap compared to the retina display and I know the EIZO delivers, what shows on the EIZO is how most of my clients see it after it went to print.

The retina is very nice for the eyes though...

The real nasty thing of the rMBP is its price, yuk!

Now, I would feel better if HB would come with a thunderbolt & USB3.0 connection (together with 5mtr cables!)

Domip

10 meters cable is better !
For very high pole photography...

Dustbak

I did 2 shoots with the rMBP last week. Geez!!! This is awesome. You can actually continue shooting at the same pace, after doing bursts of 20 to 30 shots the images are in the moment you look at the screen. Very fluid performance. Did about 1200 shots each day, no problems (besides having Phocus crash twice which is a non-event).

I would say this is the performance that should have been available 6 years ago....

Domip

Can you confirm that 100% view is sharper on rMBP than on regular 15" MBP?
Is it worthed to change for having absolute acquity on site...?

Dustbak

The screen is miles apart from the previous high res matte screen I used to have on my previous MBP. It is way better, so much I didn't even compare the two side ny side.

The only thing that makes me wonder is how much 'Off' it is. it makes my EIZO colorgraphic look like a dull screen and I know my Eizo is spot on accurate.

Anyway, the screen of the rMBP is nothing short from amazing. I used it scaled to get to the same resolution I was used to with my previous MBP.

What makes it really worth to me is the speed it acquires the images from the H4D60. No more waiting regardless on how many images you are pumping through.

Bring on the H4D80 with TB & USB 3.0 connection!!!!

KeithL

Dustbak

Not sure what it is, the screen definitely has more 'punch', eg. contrast. I haven't really looked up what the color gamut of the screen actually is. I still do the color intensive work on the Eizo. The laptop screen is nice for showing on location with a client looking over my shoulder. For it is not supposed to be anything else besides that.

Domip

Didn't you calibrate your rMBP? To at least have something less contrasty (punchy) and to have a rendition +/- as the Eizo...

Dustbak